41 - Whoopsie Daisy

Start from the beginning

"Gwen was so sure Spider-Man was that cute guy from the bakery, you know, the place where they sell those amazing mouthwatering danishes?" Mary Jane spoke up, her eyes a little ringed with redness from where she wanted to cry. "I thought she was right, he kinda' felt like Spider-Man. He's very save the world type. But Pete? Woah. I didn't really expect that. I mean...it's Pete, come on. He's not very...well, he's dorky and just Peter Parker."

Peter raised his hand. "I'm standing right here, guys."

My lovely redhead frowned again, "Sorry, Pete. That came out horrible. You know I didn't mean it like that." Mary Jane bit down on her bottom lip, her mind clearly cloudy now. With a jolt of her head, she stepped away from my embrace. "I just need a moment."

I nodded kindly, knowing right now Mary Jane did not need physical contact. She needed space and a quiet second to straighten out her thoughts before she realised her closest friends had been hiding something so massive from her. "Yeah, of course. Take a second, or a hundred." 

When the room grew a little more quiet, my gaze drifted back towards Peter Parker, who was fiddling with his jumper. I could tell by the way his shoulders sagged downwards, that he was nervous about Mary Jane finding out the truth. I tried giving him a tiny smile, wanting to let him know that everything would be quite alright. But naturally, Ned Leeds was ruining the moment. "Guys, I think I've found something." 

An angry hissing sound echoed in the room, almost like somebody was running their nails down a chalkboard. My head snatched towards the mirror and watched as it slid sideways, revealing a dark corridor. Cobwebs and dust littered the entrance, suggesting it had been hidden away for  some time. Ned Leeds grinned, removing his hand from a book that actually doubled as a hidden door handle. "Super cool. A hidden villain hideout." he said, a little too proud of his snooping.

We gathered around the entrance, peering into the darkness. "How far do you think it goes?" Peter Parker asked, a little weary. 

"Dunno'," I replied. 

Mary Jane inched closer towards me, her shoulder pressed against mine. "I'm even more confused than before. Why is there is hidden corridor in Harry's room? And why did Ned just say the word villain? Do you think Harry had something to do with Vulture?"

Ned snorted. "Vulture? That's old news. Harry Osborn is New Goblin."

I almost rolled my eyes with his comment. "Leeds, can you keep your mouth shut for once? Come on, dude." Although, I could practically feel Mary Jane freaking out that her boyfriend was the city's newest reincarnation of Green Goblin, I was stepping into the corridor without any doubt. "Come on, let's find us some proof."

The three of them followed my lead after a few moments of hesitation. We scurried through the dark passageway, the smell of dust clogging up our lungs. The journey deeper into the Osborn mansion lasted nearly two minutes before the room opened up into a more modern lair. Lights flicked on with our approach, the room doused in a fluorescent glow. We stood frozen for a second or two, admiring the space. Along the back wall were at least twenty orange coloured balls, a very signature Green Goblin weapon. In the centre of the room sat a new and improved Goblin glider, which could have only belonged to Harry Osborn. A new suit was hung on display too, that catching Mary Jane's eye. The four of us split up around the room, eyeing everything that suggested Harry had indeed taken up the Goblin mantle. 

"We might hate the guy, but he's got a badass hideout." Ned mumbled, fingertips hovering over the stand where vials of green serum waited. "Ooh, what's this?" 

Peter slapped at his hand. "Don't touch anything."

Ned frowned. "Okay, okay. But come on, a vial full of green serum, that's a little intriguing. Maybe it's some DNA altering stuff? Maybe it's some old school Captain America serum that will turn us into muscled hotties with powers."