Friday, January 13, 2023

The school day went extremely fast. Before I knew it, I was in the changing room getting ready for the game. It is an only JV game today, so Jamie and couple younger varsity members joined our team for the day to give everyone a longer break since we have another game tomorrow.

Before the game, I was stretching in the hallway listening to my music, when I saw a guy, I haven't seen in a week, my nonexistent father.

I tried to ignore his existence, but it's almost impossible when he's standing right in front of me chatting away with Jon and Coach Serry. Without, I grabbed my phone and turned off my music, but acted like I was just changing the song, so I could listen to what they were saying.

"Yeah, we were happy to get that win. We needed it," Patrick's voice said. I could just imagine him nodding his head making his ugly, long blond hair flying around.

"What the chance of tonight's game?" Jon's voice asked.

"Should be a win. I know if I put your children out there, they'll completely destroy them. My assistant and I are just trying to keep the games fair for everyone and having three players the caliber that they are is defiantly a huge advantage."

"You probably want to give your guys a chance as well to learn and grow their hockey knowledge." Of course, it was Jon who said that. I almost turned on my music again, but I decided against it to see if they were going to say anything in addition.

"How are things going with the W's?" Coach Serry asked. It took everything in me not to look up at him, but I continued to stretch.

"Things are tough getting used to having them," Patrick said. I could almost feel his eyes burning a hole trough me, but yet I didn't look up at him. "The boys have been adjusting better than Winter."

"Jamie told me that she's not living with you right now."

"Yeah, she's actually staying with Jon here, but we and our wives were talking that it might be smart for her to have a week break from me."

"I can tell that she doesn't like that we haven't been playing her as much as she's used to. This summer, she and her brothers seemed to play the whole game."

"How did that game turn out?"

"I don't even remember the score, but it was bad. The three of them had double digits together in goals."

A little smile crept on my face as I remembered that game. It was the first time Jamie and I ever played against each other. We played around twenty minutes of that game and scored eleven of the thirteen goals our team scored. The game was too easy.

"Wyatt and Will are the same players they were then, but Winter is completely different. She's a different person in general."

"It hasn't even been a month. The boys have been opening up to me and Amanda about how things were for them when they lived in New York. Winter was the closest with her mother. It must be hard for her with everything."

Tears entered my eyes once Patrick mentioned my mother. He doesn't have the right to talk about her. None at all. He never cared about her. He got her pregnant and left. She never forgave him for that and neither will I.

With that, I grabbed my phone and turned the music back on. I felt my anger rising, and I don't know how I didn't end up screaming at him. I needed to focus on my game not my asshole father, even if I think that punching him in the face will be the perfect thing to help me get into the game.

Three songs went by, when Coach Serry tapped my shoulder to tell me that it's time to get dressed for the game. At that time, Patrick and Jon were gone, much to my pleasure.

When the game started, Jamie and I sat next to each other. "You know that you're going to have to wear a dress."

"You told me yesterday that I don't need to," I responded looking at the center ice for the puck drop.

"Did I?"

"You did. Watch the game!"

"I am," he whispered. "But I really want to talk to you."

I rolled my eyes at that with a small smile. "Shut up."

"Never." That caused me to chuckle. I don't know what's up with this kid, but he can turn me into a giggling girl just from being himself.

"Watch the game!"

"We are not going to play that much. I want to kiss you right now."

He leaned close to me, so I elbowed his gear. Thankfully Coach sent my line out so I could get away from that weird kid.

The rest of the game, Jamie and I didn't really sit by each other. He kept on making faces at me, but I tried to seem unamused. Somewhere during these little shenanigans, I forgot about how much I was pissed at my family.

It lasted until I made my way out of my changing room and saw them at the end of the hall talking with Jamie and my brothers. They all were laughing and carrying on, and I didn't want any part of it. The problem is that I have to go that way to leave.

"Winter, good game!" Jon said loudly making everyone look at me. I did get a goal with playing seven minutes. He gave me a hug while I quickly said my thanks.

Once he let go, I looked right at Patrick who was staring at me. Everyone continued talking and joking around, but the two of us just kept on staring at each other. He wore a softer, sympathetic look, while mine was harder, pissed look. No one seemed to notice until Amanda spoke, "Pat, I think that it's time to go home. Amber needs to go to bed."

Patrick looked at her. "Alright, but I need to talk to Winter before we leave."

Couple more words were shared between everyone before it was just Patrick and I left.

The two of us were dead silent for a long time before I opened my fat mouth. "So, what do you want?" My words didn't come out as harsh as I would like it, but it served it's purposed regardless.

"How has your week been?"

"Okay, I guess. I rather be with them than you."

He took a deep breath as those words hit him. "I know that you don't like me, but..."

"Oh, hold on," I said interrupting him. "I hate you. Don't think that it's anything less than that, and I don't think that hate is a strong enough word to describe how I feel about you."

"Okay, but the thing is I am your father and you live in my house. I don't care how you feel about me, but there are some ground rules that you'll have to follow."

Oh, I'm not listening to this right now. "Save your crap! I don't fucking care! Next year, I'm getting on a team, and I'll never look back to this shit you call a life! I wish you would have just left me in a fucking orphanage or foster family! There I would actually find somebody that want me in their live!"

I started to walk away, but I could hear him run after me. "Winter, we are not done here!"

"I think that we are!" I yelled turning around to face him. "You never gave a shit about my mother, so why would you ever give a shit about me! I fucking wish that I could just stay with Jon and Anna because they are more understanding than you have ever been! Now, will you just leave me the FUCK alone!"

This time when I walked away, he didn't follow me. I think the words connected in his dumb brain that I don't want to deal with his shit anymore. Who cares that he's Patrick Fucking Kane!

The ride to the Toews's residence was quiet as I felt my adrenaline making my anger rise even more.

As soon as I took my shoes off, Jon stopped me from going to my 'bedroom'. "Winter, make sure you pack you bags. You are going back to Patrick's house tomorrow after the game." Looking at his face I knew that he was prepping himself for my blowup.

Instead of screaming at him, I walked past him, slammed and locked the door behind me. I broke down in tear on the bed. I can't handle this anymore. Why do I have to be his daughter?