Classes

There are a variety of subjects taught at Hogwarts, which includes the core curriculum and the electives, available from third year and onward. All first-years must take a total of seven core classes: Charms, Transfiguration, Potions, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Herbology, Magical History and Astronomy. Flying classes are also compulsory during their first-year and can be dropped upon entry into their second year. Students are unable to drop a core class, but they can choose to drop an elective if it becomes a burden. Fifth year students have to set up an appointment with their Head of House to discuss which job(s) they would like to get into when they're older. The professor will suggest what classes each student should take based on the job(s) they're interested in, taking account predicted O.W.L. scores based on current performance. During their sixth year, students advance to N.E.W.T.-level classes based on their individual O.W.L. scores for each subject. Coursework is much more advanced than it was previously. The majority of students' time is spent studying and trying to cope with the vast amounts of homework they are being given.

Core Classes

Charms

Transfiguration

Defense Against the Dark Arts (aka DADA)

Potions

Magical History

Herbology

Native American Magic

Astronomy

Flying

Elective Classes

Creature Care

Divination

Runology

Arithmancy

No-Maj Studies

Magical Law

Magical Government

Alchemy (sixth and seventh years with enough demand)

Apparition (sixth and seventh years only)

Extracurricular Classes

Magical Theory

Ancient Studies

Cultural Studies

Voodoo

Xylomancy

Spirit Studies (with enough demand)

Business

Economics

Literature

Music

Art

No-Maj Literature

No-Maj Music

No-Maj Art

Legilimency (fifth years and over with enough demand)

Occlumency (fifth years and over with enough demand)