Chapter 8: Antoinelle

I shouldn't be up here but I had to say, you should press play now on the song if you can. 21 Guns by Green Day. Okay? Okay.

Chapter 8: Antoinelle

My life had gotten considerably quieter, strange considering holidays and exams are among us, and new people. Or person, to be specific. Leo. Let's just say it was a surprise for me to see him at Starbucks this morning, my caramel swirl vanilla latte in hand. Max had given me hell the rest of the morning, pestering me about my new boy friend. Not boyfriend as in kissy, icky, loving, and romantic. I mean a person I could call on if I needed to talk. Not that I would talk to him about any of MY personal problems. There is a not-so-marginal difference between friendship and trust.

"Do you looooooove him?" Max said, acting thirteen instead of twenty-three. I voiced my thoughts to him. "I'm not thirteen, I'm twelve, get your facts straight." was his childish response. "I don't think that's any better Max." I said. He shrugged and kept talking, "But you two have something going on. I can see it. Might not be romance yet but when it happens, I called it." I sighed and had gotten up to go.

Even work seemed mellower compared to how aggravated I usually am. Jessica called me a female dog this time today. All I did in response was say, "Woof." Not that that wouldn't be my normal response but I didn't say it with as much...enthusiasm.

What I was looking forward to the most was going to the youth center. After this morning when Leo and I became..."friends" I had just supposed he would come today. I hadn't exactly asked him to come. It was only until now that I realized that though so I guess I would just see if he came or not.

I parked my baby (the motorcycle, again, I have that problem with not having kids still) in the driveway and opened the doors to what might as well be home. I hear Patty announce my presence to the whole of the world. "What did you do that for?!" I whisper ask Patty when she makes her way around to greet me. "Leo's already here and it's time to announce the news about that thing I talked to you about a few days ago." My face was blank. I had no idea what she was talking about. "You know," she prompted me, "for fall?" I finally realized what she was talking about. "Ohhhh! I remember!" I told her. She rolled her eyes at me and walked away. It was actually funny seeing someone her age do that. Not that she's old, she's only 45.

All of sudden, Leo jumped in front of me shouting, "Hey!" I screamed. He seemed to like doing that to me because he started laughing. Laughing? The same guy who walked away because of a close moment over ice cream, laughing? This guy was mental. "That wasn't funny!" I said, slapping his shoulder and walking away. I could still hear him chuckling.

I pulled out the special stool reserved for getting everyone's attention and stood on it. Gradually, all the kids (except for babies under one year old) filed into the living room. Funny, considering how we practically lived in that room. They all stared at me. It was an odd occurrence when someone other than Patty stood on that stool.

"So," I started out. "It's Thanksgiving again soon." There were cheers from the crowd but for the people who weren't here last here looked around confusedly, wondering what was going on. I smiled and continued. "Every year, we have something called a Fall Fest. It includes games, prizes, activities, and of course, Thanksgiving dinner! This year will be our 15th Annual Fall Fest, started by..." I trailed off, staring at Patty. She smiled and me and said what I couldn't. "It was started by Nellie's mom, Beatrice."

I almost started crying when she said her. I could see Leo's questioning face, but I couldn't tell him about this, something I treasure so much. I turned my face back to my audience and said, "We will need every able hand. There are decorations to be made! Performances to be created! We also have a sign-up sheet for those who will volunteer to go out for donations. You must be 13 or older to apply. There will be no game today, sorry guys, in preparation for this event. So, if you want to volunteer, go sign up. Decorations back left corner. If you want to perform something, or get a group together, stand front and center. Those who are willing to make food, back right corner. If you're lost, come to me."