Chapter 53: Just Nice?

Cheryl Faun

"OOOHH, I CAN'T WAIT!" Miss Tanner squealed.

"It's just a date," I said meekly, my voice quiet. "I don't understand why this is exciting for you."

Miss Tanner clapped her hands, "Cheryl! This is your first date! Your first time going out somewhere with someone with romantic intentions."

Tristan suggested that I asked his mother for some help with clothing choices because I had never really had romantic encounters. I was sat down on my bed with Miss Tanner stripping my closet down to its floorboards. I wish I had a female friend. Then I wouldn't be wasting Miss Tanner's time. She suddenly pulled out one of my mom's clothes. She held it up, her eyes sparkling brightly.

"What about this one?!" She exclaimed.

The top was a red, sleeveless, and sheer. Underneath the top was a red tank top that went with it. I never liked that top when I was little because whenever my mom wore it, my dad would become a pervert and start teasing her. My sister always had to cover my eyes and usher me into a different room. I shook my head.

Miss Tanner frowned. "Why not?"

"I think.. that it reveals too much skin," I responded quietly, my cheeks pink. "I don't have any.. erm, 'erotic' intentions with Tristan." I turned away, blushing madly. Why did I say it like that? Oh my gosh, I probably sound like a whore.

"You mean 'not yet'," Miss Tanner added in slyly. I squeaked at this, and she laughed. "I'm just kidding! Just kidding!"

She put the top back into the closet and pulled out a t-shirt instead. It was a basic white, with some rips at the bottom that added a punk effect to it. Her other hand reached towards a floral cardigan. It was black, made of silk, and had white stripes running through the forearms.

"These look nice together!" She exclaimed brightly, and then added, "And they're more of your style too."

"I think I have something that'll match those," I said with a mumble. I stood up and walked over, digging through my closet. I pulled out a pair of ripped skinny jeans. They had a camouflage pattern on them.

Miss Tanner nodded. "Ooh! Now go get dressed! I'll get shoes and put some money in your purse."

"But I don't have a purse—"

"I'll take care of that too!" She squealed like a little girl, full of excitement. "Just get into the bathroom and change." She pushed me into the bathroom excitedly.

Oh dear.

~~~

"Don't you look great!" Miss Tanner gushed.

I blushed lightly and pulled a strand of my hair away from my face. Miss Tanner had put me into a pair of brown combat boots and handed me a cream-colored purse. She said that it added more effect to the outfit— whatever that meant. I had planned to put my hair up into a simple braid, but Miss Tanner said I should put it up into a high ponytail. I did and was surprised to find that it still reached my waist. My hair really has grown longer. I decided against makeup.

I sighed heavily and sat down on the couch, shaking a little. "This is kinda scary."

Miss Tanner sat beside me and held my hand in hers. "If it seems scary, just remember you've seen the worst of this world," she said in a strong and determined voice. "You've walked through hell and back like it was a simple stroll through the park. You've seen the demons within other people. You've seen the sacrifices of people you love. You've seen those that can be compared to monsters." She cracked a smile and added, "And you've seen me angry before."