act one / scene one

"Timmy, I miss you a lot."
"I miss you too, Cassie."
"I'm not too sure about that... I mean, you're in France! And I'm still stuck in New York."
Timmy sighed audibly, wishing that Cassie knew how much he cared about her and how much he wanted to hug her. "I really do miss you, Cas. I'll see you the moment I get back home. Remember, I'll be home in two weeks!"
"Thank god." Cassie whispered into the phone. "It's nice to see all my friends and all but it's strange without you. You kind of made your way into my friend group and now it's weird without you."
"Glad I've made some impact." He said, grinning as he watched the sun rise. "I miss seeing you everyday, Cassie."
"I miss your face." She replied, yawning.
"What time is it over there?"
"About midnight," Cassie told him, watching the moon disappear from view. "What about over in France?"
"About six a.m." Timothée remarked. He watched the birds begin to fly around as the sun slowly crept into the sky. "You should get some sleep, Cas."
She rubbed her eyes, "Yeah, suppose so. I'll see you soon, Timmy. Promise me to call me again a s a p."
"Of course. I love you, goodnight."
"Goodnight, love you more."
She hung up and crawled into her bed, wishing she could hold Timothée in her arms tightly like so many nights ago.
*******
Cassie spent all summer at her neighborhood pool, tanning before school began, and hopefully to make more friends that hadn't gone to catholic school as well.
She wanted to look beautiful for this upcoming year, that was her goal. "Self-care"- but under it all it wasn't just for her- it was also for Timothée.
"Fuck," She whispered, rubbing her eyes.
"You alright?" A voice said on her left. She glanced over and saw a girl with a bright smile standing over her.
"Oh.. Uh, yeah." Cassie said. Cassie adjusted herself to look at the girl clearly. She was tall, or maybe that was just from Cassie's angle, with chocolate skin and black hair in two braids, and sunglasses over her squinting eyes.
"Hi, I'm Anna." The girl said, putting her hand out for her to shake it.
"Cassie," She replied, taking her hand.
"So, you seem alone. Why is that?" Anna asked as she set up her towel on the beach chair, and organized her pool stuff in her bag as they talked.
"None of my friends were available today."
Anna nodded along, "I haven't seen you here before. Where do you go to school?"
"I'm going to Catholic School."
"St. Thomas Moore?" Anna questioned, sitting down.
"Yup."
"That must be very....fun?"
"Nah, but my parents are really strict and want me in a 'safe enviornment'."
"That's stupid." Anna giggled. "I've heard the STM kids are worse than any of the public high school kids."
"True, because these kids tend to have more money, and their parents are either oblivious or sending their child there for the looks of it."
Anna rolled her eyes behind her sunglasses, "Anyway, you seem really cool. I'm going to Washington High, though."
"That's disappointing." Cassie sighed. "I was going to say the same for you."
*******
Anna and Cassie spent the rest of the day together at the pool, getting to know each other better, and Cassie realizing how happy she was now that Saoirse wasn't available for the day. Cassie was complaining about how she needed new friends, and here she was, basking in the sun. She also looked beautiful while she ate an ice cream sandwich. "Shit," Cassie mumbled to herself, wondering how someone could be so naturally pretty.
"So where do you live?" Cassie spoke up.
"On Graden, 556 Graden Drive. I'm the house with the blue shutters and the pots of flowers on the porch." Anna told her. "What about you?"
"I'm on Friar Lane, the fourth house in. 440 Friar Lane." yawned Cassie. "It's really fucking big with a large tree in the front and a swing attached."
"That sounds really cute." Anna said with a grin. Her phone began to vibrate beside her and she hastily picked it up, giving Cassie an i'm sorry! look before answering it.
"Hey!"
"At the pool, why?"
"Okay sounds good."
"Seven? Fuck."
[rolls eyes for the third time]
"He'll be there? Goddamn it."
"Thank you, sorry again."
"Ok. Bye, love you!"
Anna hung up with a glum face, "Ugh, I'm so sorry but I have to go. Today has been so much fun though."
"Will you at least give me your number?" Cassie grinned.
Anna nodded quickly, "Duh!" She found a scrap and wrote it down sloppily. "Call me tonight or tomorrow! I would love to hangout again, Cassie."
They gave each other small hugs before Anna departed, jumping on her bike attached to the snack hut, and rode to Gladen Drive.

*******
Cassie walked home with two ice cream cookie sandwiches in her left hand, and her iphone in her right hand. She was texting Timothée while she walked.

Timmy💞: caSSIE HOW ARE YOU

IM GOOD HOW ARE YOU B

Timmy💞: PRETTY GOOD AND I MISS YOU TONS

AH I MISS YOU THE MOST THOUGH

Timmy💞: not true!! France has been fun but i lowkey miss home
Timmy💞:and you
{deleted}

once you get home we are instantly having a sleepover
i wanna watch horror movies and talk about life like normal

Timmy💞: can i tell you something??

yeah of course? what's up my man?

Timmy💞: 1) i miss you tons and much more than you miss me
2) i bought you three gifts cause i'm a sweet ass friend
3) i bought some French food for you to try once i get back
4) i'm so fucking excited to get home just because of the sleepover

you're fucking precious timmy- this is why i miss you

Timmy💞:

Cassie was grinning as she continued to text Timothée, almost two blocks away from her house now

Cassie was grinning as she continued to text Timothée, almost two blocks away from her house now. She was never aware of how wide she smiled when she texted him. Or that it was only with him.
As she walked up to her house and pulled out her keys, Timothée called. She looked at her phone confusedly but answered while the door unlocked.
"Timmy?" She asked, entering her house.
"Hey," He replied.
"Timmy, I don't have many international minutes left because of last night! What do you need?"
Timothée bit his lip, thousands of miles away, thinking of how he should respond. And he was not going to respond with "I need you" because he was never that smooth. "I need to talk to you. I missed your voice- does that sound cheesy?"
Cassie's cheeks instantly blushed, even though he wasn't there to say that, his voice itself gave her a blush- and she got actual goosebumps when he said something like that.
"Not at all, T. I feel the same."
He smiled, "Glad that I'm not being cheesy by myself. The last few days here have been so boring."
"And why is that?"
"Well, my dad's friend hasn't figured out where he wants to take us to 'explore', but it's taken him three days now! And my dad doesn't want to leave without him, so these few days have been looking at maps and figuring out how to entertain myself somehow in a country I've never been in."
Cassie pursed her lips as she listened, trying to think of advice. "Does you dad's friend have neighbors? Or kids of his own to hangout with?"
"Yeah," Timothée sighed. "He has two sons and a daughter, but his daughter is at a camp for the next week and a half, and his sons are way to young for me to play with. One's still in diapers!"
"Hmm," Cassie thought. "I dunno what to tell you, T."
"I don't know what I want to hear anyway- it just sucks."
"I feel ya, Timmy."