Chapter 20

Alex managed to escape the three women but not without difficulty. All the time he was trying to disentangle himself from the women’s clutches, Mia just stood there with a smirk on her face.

He stared at her with a look of plea to help him get out of the mess he found himself in. As soon as he was able to get off one hand from his face, more will come clutching at his other body parts.

He was almost near the end of his patience when Mia suddenly said out loud…

“Oh, forgive us My Queen! We didn’t see you standing there!”

And just like that…the mere mention of the Queen’s name put an end to Alex’s struggle from being mauled by the three women. They immediately let go of the Prince and made a hasty curtsy. They were bowing down so low that they didn’t notice their prey being led safely away.

One of the women spoke first but with a slight quiver to her voice…

“Please forgive us, Your Majesty. We have a very good explanation to what you have just witnessed.”

Then the other woman also spoke…

“Yes, Your Higness. It’s not really as bad as it looks.”

Her attempt for an explanation quickly earned her a hard swift jab from one of the women’s elbow.

When their attempts to explain the awkward situation was met with total silence, all three women slowly raised their heads and instantly knew that they have been duped.

 The moment they realized that there was no Queen at all, Alex was already safely hiding in a room somewhere.

* ** ***************************************

“Whew! I thought that nightmare will never end.” Alex said.

Mia gave an unlady-like snort and reacted by saying…

“Nightmare huh? You were obviously so terrified by those three that you couldn’t let go of them.”

The moment Mia said those words; she immediately regretted it judging from the goofy smile on the Prince’s face…

“I was trying to hold them off Mia and I think someone’s a little jealous….”

“I am most certainly not!” She retorted.

“A little defensive are we? But you know very well that there’s no need to be jealous. These eyes are only for you…”

He started to reach for her hands when she stepped away from him.

“We are not doing this dance again, Your Highness. We have already made it clear the last time.” She said.

“The name’s Alex, beautiful. And I don’t remember ever saying yes to whatever has been said that time so I think that’s going to be a little problem. But speaking of dance, do you hear that?”

“The band has started and they’re playing my favorite song!” Mia exclaimed.

“Well, what do you know? My favorite too and that’s why we are destined to be together.”

She rolled her eyes and asked, “Fate has us destined together because we like the same song???....Rigggghhhhttt!”

He gave Mia a tender smile and walked slowly to where she was standing. She tried to take a step back but he didn’t allow her to make such a move.

“I believe you owe me a dance, my lady.”

Mia refused to budge and desperately tried to think of things that she can say to convince him that the two of them dancing is not a good idea.

“I’m really sorry, YOUR MAJESTY, but I’m hardly dressed for a dance partner and besides… I – uh – hardly smell of flowers and perfume compared to those three women. With all the chores needed to be done to get this ball going, I was sweating like crazy and – uh – you really don’t want to get near me… And…”

But Alex was completely unfazed and had her now completely trapped in his arms…

“Sssshhh…. I want to dance with you Mia and not smell you. But then, you will always look and smell beautiful…sweat and all.”

“Flattery won’t work with me, YOUR MAJESTY.”

“My name is Alex and not YOUR MAJESTY Mia. Come on! I know you also want to dance. And besides, no one’s going to bother us here. We have all the privacy that we need.”

Mia was still trying to decide when Alex made one more attempt to convince her.

“They say I dance very well. Don’t you want to prove if they’re right?” Then he winked at her that had her laughing and finally broke down her defenses.

“You never give up, do you?” Mia asked.

With a sudden shift from being in a playful mood to a serious one, he looked at her with such emotion that almost took Mia’s breath away…

 “With you Mia…never.”