Chapter Six - My Name

Ash's POV

For the first time, the school week flew by. Miss Berlitz had consistently kept my company during lessons and recess. To say I began looking forward to school isn't farfetched.

I observed the school surroundings for the past few days and perceived the stratification system here. Miss Berlitz is undoubtedly at the top of the hierarchy with the upper caste. Beauty, intelligence and popularity, she has it all. Yet she still chooses to hang around with me. I often sense male students giving me death stares and female students gossiping from afar.

However, the truth is that Miss Berlitz is only accompanying me as part of her duty as a guide. I doubt she'll continue sticking around once the two-week period is over therefore I want to make the most of our time together. Another chance to experience having a friend may not come again.

On the other hand, Miss Berlitz offered to introduce her group of friends to me the following week. Truth to be told, I'm not exactly overjoyed to hear that. Unlike Miss Berlitz, her friends didn't seem as accepting though they do appear like the two-faced type. They'll most likely act nice around me for appearance sake I suppose. I've never personally seen Miss Berlitz with them since I transferred aside from the brunette who's addressed as May.

My job at Piplup Patisserie is going better than expected. I indubitably befriended none of my co-workers, however, none of them openly expressed their detestation towards me. At the very least, they acknowledge my skills which is more than enough for me. I informed Miss Berlitz of my job and she visited twice this week. I noted that she isn't a fan of anything bitter which is rather unexpected. She always asks specifically for the pastries I create which always uplifts my spirit.

It's Sunday today. No school, no work and unquestionably no plans. I'm spending the day browsing through my phone, wishing I had Miss Berlitz's number... Like hell I can. My contacts list had always been empty and forever will be. I decide that a stroll by the local park might improve my mood.

Time Skip - Park

The park's filled with either lovers or families. Needless to day, I stick out like a sore thumb. I catch sight of a few adults immediately leaving after noticing me. Some things never change do they? It truly makes me appreciate Miss Berlitz. 

I lay down beneath a tree that shields me away from the sunlight and began daydreaming. This cast my mind back to the time where I woke up to find Miss Berlitz beside me. I chuckle lightly as I recall the pleasant memory. Without noticing, I soon fell asleep.

Wh-Where am I? I find myself within a caliginous area with no sound at all. From a distance, I spot a familiar girl..... Miss Berlitz?  I attempt to call for her but my voice didn't reach. I begin running towards her but the closer I got, the further she is.

All of a sudden, I'm enveloped in darkness and brought to an all-black four dimensional place. Miss Berlitz fades away and I realise my legs are chained.

"Miss Berlitz. Miss Berlitz!" I scream but receive no response.

"Miss Berlitz! D-Dawn! DAWN!"

"You called, Ash?"

Huh? I open my eyes and instantly sat up. Sweat is dripping down from my forehead and I'm breathing heavily. I glance up and a girl with hair that matches the sky stands in front. It's none other than Miss Berlitz!

"Daw- I mean, Miss Berlitz?! Wh-What brings you her?" I start stuttering.

"Just taking my dog for a walk."

I shift my attention to her unusual looking dog. Speaking honestly, it seems more like a penguin. It's most distinguishable trait is it's flipper-like arms and yellow feet. I struggle to hold my giggles in and ended up burst out laughing.

"Hey! You're mocking us too much, Mr Ketchum!" She pouts in a childish manner.

I try to apologise but couldn't form my sentences very well due to the giggles. Miss Berlitz kneels down and softly pets her penguin-dog.

"His name's Piplup, I named him after the confectionary you're working at since I found him near there. Nobody picked him up due to his peculiar features and colours."

I instantaneously cease my laughter, replacing it with guilt. Unwanted for its appearance, it almost feel like I was laughing at myself. As if she's able to read my mind, Miss Berlitz immediately changes the topic.

"Hey, Ash! I've got something I'd like to ask you."

"I'll gladly answer if it's one that I can."

"Why am I addressed as 'Dawn' within your dreams but 'Miss Berlitz' in person?"

My face reddens as I hadn't noticed this myself. She has an eager yet smug expression plastered on her face. However, I don't know the answer to that myself. Before being able to answer, she fires another question at me.

"And you dream about me?" She adds with a cocky smile.

"Rather than a dream, it's more of a nightmare..." I murmur.

"Are you indirectly suggesting I'm an ephialtes?" Miss Berlitz frowns and starts sulking.

"Ah! No! That wasn't my intention! I was-"

Miss Berlitz begin snickering and I realise she's just playing around with me. Her laughing grows louder and I eventually join in until we both end up with tears in our eyes.

"Gotcha Ash! You're always so serious that it's impossible to not toy with you and this counts as payback for my Piplup! But, all jokes aside, isn't it about time you called me Dawn? We've been friends for quite some time already right? Try saying it now!"

I've never addressed anyone in an informal manner after becoming the 'demon child'. However, I have the urge to at this moment. I look at Miss Berlitz, anticipation shining in her eyes, and eventually muster enough courage to at least attempt.

"D-D-Da-Daw-Dawn?" I whisper, barely even hearing myself. 

I-I did it! It wasn't as difficult as I thought despite stuttering rather badly. I look at her, thinking she would be overjoyed but finds a mild reaction instead.

Dawn's POV

I meekly smile and couldn't say anything else. What's this feeling? My heart begins throbbing just from hearing Ash call me by my first name. I feel my cheeks heating up and body malfunctioning.

"Miss Berlitz? Are you alright?"

I scowl upon the fact that he returns to calling me 'Miss Berlitz' in a matter of seconds. I was about to speak but, in a trice, Ash stands up abruptly and starts stretching his muscles. We make eye contact and he smiles at me.

"I'm rather hungry now, Miss Berlitz. I'll be off to grab some food if you don't mind."

I shake my head and watch as he bows before leaving. I sigh as he didn't even attempt to invite me. Perhaps he truly only sees me as a guide.

I wonder what's the pain I'm feeling in my chest? I continue my walk with Piplup in the opposite direction that Ash went.