Chapter 3

It had been three months since Shaw had killed Tabitha. About a month after, Erik went after Shaw. On his own. Charles followed him as soon as he discovered he was gone, of course. When they returned, which surprised us all as we had seen what Shaw is capable of.

“He’s gone” Erik had told us “We defeated him”.

When we asked how Charles explained that Erik was successful in removing the helmet he had acquired from the Russians which blocks telepathic powers.

‘so that’s what is was for’.

Charles was then able to penetrate Shaw’s mind, ‘freezing’ him. Erik then used some coin, which had some history, I don’t know, he wouldn’t tell us anything else about it, and used his powers to send the coin through Shaw’s forehead and out the back of his head, killing him. Charles was against killing Shaw, but was unable to stop Erik doing so.

There was a tension between them.

    ***

Since they had returned Erik had been different, darker.

“Hey, (y/n), where are you going?” Havok asked as you stood up from the lunch table, forgetting to say anything because you were concentrating on your thoughts. You quickly snapped out of it when you heard Havok’s voice.

“Oh, sorry, I am going to speak to Erik, there is something on my mind and I think he would be the best person to talk to about it” you replied, letting out a weak, half-smile.

“You ok?” Banshee asked.

“Yeah, thanks” you said before running toward Erik’s office.

You opened the large timber doors slightly.

“Erik? Can I come in?” you knocked softly on the long door.

“Hm? Oh yeah, sure” Erik answered, lifting his head to look at you.

You walked inside and sat at his desk so that you were looking him from the other side.

“What’s up?” He asked, smiling at you.

“Erik, are you ok?” You said sternly with a concerned look on your face.

Erik looked shocked, that was not what he was expecting you to ask. “What do you mean, (y/n)?” he answered, uncomfortably.

“You’re different, dark, almost” tears welled in your eyes.

Before Erik and Charles left to go after Shaw, you had become close; he had become a mentor for you. He started helping you more and more with ways to assist controlling your powers.

He looked at you with a saddened expression before standing to walk around his desk and sit on the chair next to you. He put a hand on your face gently. “(Y/n), I can’t explain this to you. I have been searching for Shaw for decades and now he is gone. Who am I now? It’s like there is something missing and I am yet to find a cause to fill it” he said to you while looking deeply into your eyes.

“What do you mean? You are here, you are helping all these other mutants discover the extent of their powers and control them and discover who they are!” you raised your voice. How could he not see what an important part he played in this school?

Erik sighed. “I’d like to be alone” he said as he turned his back to you and walked over to the window. He stood looking out, not saying a word.

You ran out of his office, not bothering to respond. If he wants to be that way, fine.

When heading back to your room you bumped into Charles, causing his to drop his books and teaching materials.

“Oh, Charles! I am so sorry!” you awkwardly shouted as you bent down to help him pick up his things from the floor.

“That’s quite alright, (y/n)” he chuckled beside you. “Where are you heading in such a rush?”

“Just up to my room” You said standing up and passing back Charles’ items you had retrieved off the ground.

“Right, well… ah, would you like to have lunch with me today?” Charles asked as his lips turned into a soft smile.

“Yeah, sounds great” you answered, not really paying attention as your mind was wandering.

“Splendid, I will see you then” Charles’ eyes were fixed on your face.

You gave Charles a nod and continued to your room.

Once you reached your room, you dropped down on your bed. You couldn’t stop thinking about your conversation with Erik, why was he so different? What did he mean, ‘who am I now’?

You grabbed a small piece of paper and found yourself a pen and began writing a small note.

DINNER. TONIGHT. 8 PM IN THE KITCHEN. BE THERE!

You ran and slid it under Erik’s door. There had to be something more.