Fourteen: Sleepy Elevator Rides

Start from the beginning

I turned off the lights and she put her bookbag back on. I grabbed the keys and we walked out of the apartment.

Sophia ran ahead and pushed the elevator button. While we waited for the elevator, someone's door from behind us closed.

I turned around and saw Zack making his way towards us. It was obvious he had just woken up. His hair was a mess and he was wearing racecar pajama pants with a white t-shirt that was clearly worn.

"Zack!" Sophia said with excitement.

"Hey, Squirt," Zack said with a tired tone.

When he was close enough, he leaned down and picked Sophia up in a lazy bear hug. She giggled and hugged him back.

"Are you going to work like that?" She asked, leaning back in his arms and taking in his appearance.

He chuckled and said, "Nah, I don't go in for another two hours."

"Then why are you even awake?" I questioned. I would still be knocked out in my warm bed if I didn't have to leave for another two hours.

He shrugged and sat Sophia down. Right then, the elevator opened.

"Will you walk us to Mommy's car?" Sophia asked, looking up to Zack.

"Yeah. Anything for you, kiddo." He said, ruffling her hair.

"Hey don't mess with my hair." Sophia snapped and swatted his hand away.

He looked at me with a surprised expression.

"What? Don't mess with a girl's hair." I told him. Sophia and I both laughed and entered the elevator.

"Wow okay. Team up against the only guy. I see how it is." He playfully complained.

I chuckled and leaned against the back wall. I could fall asleep standing up I was so tired.

Sophia pushed the lobby button and decided standing in front of the buttons was the best place to stand. Zack, on the other hand, thought the best place to stand was an inch away from me.

"So about last night..." Zack started but I cleared my throat to shut him up.

"We can talk about that later," I told him. Sophia didn't need to know what happened. At least, not yet. Or maybe never. Never sounds good.

Thankfully, he got the hint. I leaned my head against the wall and closed my eyes.

"Tired?" He said, pushing his shoulder up against mine.

"Mhm," I grumbled. I was really tired.

I heard the doors open and opened my eyes. Sophia bolted out the doors and towards the lobby exit.

Zack leaned over and placed his lips on my cheek, giving me a light peck. "If that kiss last night had the same effect on you as it did on me, that should at least keep you awake long enough to drive safely."

I could feel my cheeks heat up. At this point, I didn't bother trying to hide my blush. I looked back up at him and saw his cheeks were tinted pink too.

"Shut up," I mumbled and exited the elevator. He followed behind me with a smirk on his face.

I unlocked the car and Sophia climbed into her seat. "Hey, Zack! Can you buckle me in?" She asked.

"You know how to buckle yourself." I reminded her, confused as to why she would ask Zack to do it.

"Sure thing, Squirt." He said, walking up and buckling her in. Before he could pull away, I noticed Sophia whisper something in his ear.

He looked at her and slowly began to smile and nod. This reaction made Sophia giggle.

"What was that about?" I asked him once he closed the back door.

"You'll find out." He shrugged.

"Or you could just tell me." I reminded him.

"Or you could just be patient and find out tonight." He shot back.

"I have work tonight," I told him

"After work. I don't work Saturday mornings so I'll be up." He said.

"It's a Friday. I won't be home until 3 a.m. at the earliest." I informed him.

"Again, I'll be up." He said. He turned and began to walk back to the apartment complex.

"Wait," I called after him.

He turned back around. "Yeah?"

"What are you doing now?" I asked him.

He shrugged and said, "Probably going back to sleep."

I walked up to him and gave him a kiss on his cheek. "If I can't sleep, neither can you," I said with a smirk of my own. I didn't care if my cheeks were red. I was too busy enjoying the priceless look on Zack's face.

"You are one cruel girl, Hot Stuff." He smirked back.

"I know," I replied and climbed inside the driver's side of my door.

-

I dropped Sophia off and headed to class. It was warmer today than it had been the previous days. I would've taken my sweatshirt off only I didn't bother to put a shirt on underneath.

Class droned on. I had to present my research essay to the class even though no one paid any attention. When my presentation was over, I sat back down in my seat and unlocked my phone.

Z: Do you have a lunch break?

N: I get out of class at 1 and have to be back home by 3 to get ready for work. I pick Sophia up at 2:30.

Z: Meet me at Taco Bell after class. I'm buying you lunch.

I relocked my phone right as my stomach growled. Taco Bell definitely sounded good right now. I only had to make it through five more presentations and I was golden.