27

It took some time to explain, but soon Aragorn knew the whole story of her miraculous recovery, as well as the continued life of her elder brother. It was saddening to hear of her father's passing, but the knowledge that Faramir would recover lightened both of their hearts when it was brought to them. There was little time to waste, and their blissful reunion was cut shorter than either would have liked, but it could not be helped.

Within the hour, the throne room was cleared of all but Eomer, Gandalf, Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn, and Miriel as they gathered to discuss what to do next. Merry and Pippin were sent straight to the Halls of Healing as soon as they had both seen the others and confirmed that they were alright. Both had been glad to see Miriel again, though Merry would have to wait for an explanation.

Gandalf stood gazing out of the high window, facing towards the Black Gate and Mordor itself. Gimli sat insolently on the Steward's chair, nearer to where Eomer stood, smoking his pipe while the horse lord stood tall and strong with his arms crossed. Miriel had refused the chair, insisting it was not hers to take. Legolas stood behind Miriel and Aragorn, the trio once again together in understanding. Aragorn sat on the white marble in worry, but Miriel sat at his side, calming his frenzied mind. Her hand was in his, and he needed her to anchor him here, reassure him that she was real and anything was possible.

"Frodo has passed beyond my sight." Gandalf said, looking down and turning to the rest of the room. "The darkness is deepening." Aragorn shook his head at the Wizard's defeated tone, looking at Miriel's hand in his own.

"If Sauron had the Ring, we would know it." Gandalf frowned deeper, something Miriel thought impossible.

"It is only a matter of time. He has suffered a defeat, yes, but behind the walls of Mordor our enemy is regrouping." Gimli huffed.

"Let him stay there. Let him rot! Why should we care?" Gandalf sighed.

"Because ten thousand orcs now stand between Frodo and Mount Doom." He spoke even more softly now, not meaning any others to hear. "I've sent him to his death."

"No." Aragorn's voice came sharply from where he sat, and Gandalf turned to him, not missing the shine in Miriel's hopeful eyes. "There is still hope for Frodo. He needs time and safe passage across the Plains of Gorgoroth. We can give him that." Gandalf shook his head.

"How?" Aragorn stood, walking up to the old wizard.

"Draw out Sauron's armies. Empty his lands! Then we gather our full strength and march on the Black Gate." Gimli choked on his pipe, and Eomer stepped forward, Miriel standing as he did so.

"We cannot achieve victory through the strength of arms."

"Then perhaps it is a good thing we do not need to." Miriel's voice was strong and clear in the large chamber, and they all turned to her as she spoke. "Victory over the forces of Mordor means nothing if the Ring remains. That is a lesson we should have learned long ago. If we can keep Sauron's eye fixed on us, we can give Frodo and Sam a way to Mount Doom. Keep him blind to all that moves, and his destruction is all but assured." Legolas seemed to catch on to what the two Gondorians were proposing.

"A diversion." Gandalf spoke lowly to them.

"Sauron will suspect a trap. He will not take the bait!" Aragorn took Miriel's hand in his own.

"Miracles have happened before, Gandalf. All we can do is hope." Miriel looked to the old wizard next.

"Weren't you the one who used to tell me that hope was the lifeblood of Middle Earth? Hope is what keeps us all going. Don't give up now." Gimli huffed from his place on the Steward's chair, speaking around the pipe in his mouth.

"Certainty of death, small chance of success." The others turned to him, and the dwarf smiled slightly. "What are we waiting for?"