Chapter 1 (Josh)

I run out of the house, nearly missing the bus. I'm old enough to drive, even have a car, but it seriously needs worked on. The transmission has crapped out, which is basically all it takes to have a non-working car. 

I get on and sit down next to Madison.

"Good morning," she says, kissing my cheek.

"Morning," I manage, breathless.

"Did you have to run to catch us again?" She asks.

"Yeah, dad was...." i stop myself mid-sentence.

"What?" 

"Nothing, dad was just super busy and needed his space. You know normally he's already out of the house by the time I get up, so he was kinda slowing me down...."

"Oh," she nods.

I had to lie to her. I can't tell her the truth about my dad, that he's verbally and physically abusive. If I tell her, she might tell somebody else, and then DFS could get involved. More trouble than I already have, and I don't need it. I mean, I know I can trust her, but this is too big. In reality, this morning I took another beating. Dad was mad that I haven't gotten any work done on the car, mad that I wasn't driving myself to school in the mornings. She can't know that, though.

The bus ride is always a long one. We have 36 stops to stop at, and half the time the stop is occupied with students who have brothers and sisters who are "still inside, just give them one minute." So, typically, we have an hour long ride. Which for me is nice, because it's the only time I'm even close to being alone with Madison, and sometimes I can get late homework done. I know, two random topics, but still.

Madison leans over and looks at my phone. I look at her. "What?" I ask.

"Nothing." She says.

I shrug. She sends me a text.

(Madison-Josh: I've got nothing going on after school. Wanna come over?)

(Josh-Madison: Um, if it's okay with my parents. I think they have some sort of meeting going on...)

(Madison-Josh: Okay.)

(Josh-Madison: I'll ask mom now.)

(Madison-Josh: Okay.)

(Josh-Mom: Hey mom, is it okay if I head to Madison's house after school?)

(Josh-Madison: No reply.... I'll have to wait)

(Madison-Josh: Okay.)

(Josh-Madison: Have you been reading "The Fault in Our Stars" lately? That's three times you've said 'okay' in the last two minutes.)

(Madison-Josh: Yeah....)

(Josh-Madison: Is that why you want me to come over?)

(Madison-Josh: NO! Other... things. I need help with something.)

(Josh-Madison: What is it?)

(Madison-Josh: Not here, not now. Later. After school. At my house. Then I'll tell.)

(Josh-Madison: Okay.)

(Mom-Josh: Sure. Just be back before your father gets home.)

(Josh-Mom: Yes.)

I turn off my phone and look across Madison to out the window. We're on the main road. We're about 10 minutes from the school. I lean back in my seat.

(Madison-Josh: OMG! I forgot about the damn test in Science today! Do you have a study guide I can borrow?)

(Josh-Madison: Yeah... Where's yours?)

(Madison-Josh: IDK.)

I laugh out loud.

"What?" She says.

"You. You're adorable when you're stressed."

"Hey, being stressed is not good for me!" 

I just laugh harder. She smacks my arm. I lean over and kiss her. Her hand hovers behind my neck for a moment, then she pushes me away.

"No. No kissing. Nothing for you! You're in trouble," she says.

"Why????" I whine, putting on a pout face.

"You just are."

"Fine," I say, and laugh.

__________________________

Science is a bitch. As much as I studied, I'm still pretty sure I failed it. Sighing, I walk out of Mr. Shepard's room, carrying my bag to lunch. I find Madison at her normal table, surrounded by her friends, but they all seem... Angry. They're all screaming, and it sounds like Madison's getting defensive. I walk up to her saying, "And you have a problem? There's nothing wrong! And, for your information, it's none of your buisness what goes on in his life!"

I sit down at the table just as everyone else gets up with their tray and leaves. "What the hell just happened?" I ask Madison.

"They're asking me about the rumors that have been going around about Mason," she tells me.

"Oh... Yeah, it would make the most sense to ask you about your brother's life. But why were they such assholes about it?" I ask.

"Like I know. I think they just wished it was true."

"But..... what is going around,  exactly?" I ask.

She looks at me. "Apparently, Mason is going to be sent to a boarding school because he was caught by my parents smoking Marijuana."

I whistle. "Damn. That's a rough thing to have going around about you....."

"Yeah. Especially since I have literally no idea where in the world it came from."

"Yeah," I say, nodding.

We eat in silence for a while.

___________________________

The bus ride home is always shorter than in the morning. There are less stops to make, (I assume) and I'm one of the first on and first off. Madison and I sit together, hand in hand.

She sighs.

(Madison-Josh: So, you coming over?)

(Josh-Madison: Yes.)

(Madison-Josh: Yay! :P)

(Josh-Madison: :P)

____________________________

Madison's house is huge. Her bedroom is on the upstairs floor all alone, with her parent's bedroom on the top floor, all alone. She leads me upstairs to her room, even though I've been in here thousands of times before.

She sits on her bed, sighing and putting her bag on the floor beside her. She leans back on her bed, and closes her eyes. I put my bag down in front of her desk to the right of the doorway. 

"I'm so tired," she says.

"Me, too," I agree.

"How d'you think you did on the test?" She asks me.

"I think I failed it," I tell her.

"Why? Your study guided was really good, I'm pretty sure I aced it, and it's only because of your study guide."

"Awww, that's so flattering, but flattery is rarely ever true."

I sit on the bed beside her. She sits up.

"Really?"

"What?"

She shakes her head and kisses me, her hand resting lightly on my waist. I wrap my arm around her and pull her closer to me. Her hands are sliding up my back, tangling in my hair. Is this why she wanted me over?

As if reading my mind, she pulls back. "This isn't what I asked you over for."

At first, I didn't want it yet. I wanted her to show me whatever it is she wanted me over for, but just because she wanted to stop, I wanted more.

"Who cares?" I ask her. I lean in and kiss her.

She doesn't try to stop me.