Nikola decides to fly immediately  to San Francisco . Nothing she can do but leave. Everything is getting out of hand. But it's a good thing that she has more money now. Running away to another country can solve everything. Nobody will know her. She can start anew. Away from it all. For sure, she'll miss Brent but safety is her priority. With all the crimes chasing her name in California, she must cease the existence of Nikola Tocci. 

She already called the agency before leaving Los Angeles. She was given a day for the fixing of all her travel documents. Diego taught her alot and introduced her to the underworld. With the right amount, everything can  flow easily.  That's how thugs lead their lives. Now, she's one of them.

Brent must not catch her. He cannot protect her anymore. Lest, he might even lead a manhunt operation against her. 

It was 4 PM when she arrives in San Francisco International Airport. The 54 minute bus ride to The Paramount does not bore her this time. New beginning awaits her somewhere. Perhaps, she can forget Brent like the way she put her first love to oblivion.

Gem, her housemate, greeted her at the doorway of their 2 bedroom flat. She smiles wryly.

"Did you sort everything out?" The girl asks.

Nikki nods. "Yes. I put everything to your bank account. You can withdraw your share anytime."

"Thanks. I'll do it tomorrow. This is yours." Gem hands her wallet before saying, "have a safe trip to New York." 

Nikola told her clueless roommate that she cannot open any bank account in San Francisco since she's relocating to New York. She'll start everything there so the other girl agreed to give her all her credit and ATM cards for replacement with a hefty bonus as a goodbye gift. Half a million dollars, who wouldn't say yes?

Gem hands Nikola her cellphone. "Btw, I ordered food. The delivery man might call for direction. I'll just shower."   

"Ok. I'll just pack. I'll leave at dawn." Nikki walks to her bedroom to pack her suitcase then sits on the window sill as she lays out her plans that run through her mind.

Where would she go? Brazil, Puerto Rico, UK...some place exotic where locals will see her just  another tourist in their country. She must dye her hair, buy new contact lenses and tan her skin. A stop over in New York  can fix all these.

She's deep in her thoughts when she hears the door bell chimes. Is Gem expecting anybody other than delivery?  

She's alarmed. She takes Gem's phone and  hurriedly jumps to  bed for her suitcase.

 She takes Gem's phone and  hurriedly jumps to  bed for her suitcase

Brent and Lara escorted the body in the plane. It was picked up at the airport by the funeral home contracted by the Powells. They hailed a taxi to Dublin to see the parents of the deceased.

The Powell residence is only 13 minutes away from the airport. Brent somehow notices that Lara is not morose anymore over Simon's death unless she's only good at hiding her true emotion. She had cried once and now focused on apprehending Nikola. He had known her with tough exterior as being raised only by her mother. She never mentioned about her father, only that he died when she's four and she only had a foggy memory about him.

Lara is overwhelmed when Brent brings her to the resort-style home of the Powells. Simon never said much about his parents. She only knew that he's the only son among 4 children. 

In reality, General David Powell is retired from the Army while being stationed at the Pentagon and Mrs. Hillary Powell came from a very rich influential family involved in politics. The old couple welcome them with warmth though their forlorn state is conspicuous. 

"I'll leave everything to you, Brent. You know how much I trust you. But if things will be a drag, I might as well spread my connections to get the S.O.B. who did this to my son." Mr. Powell says in a firm voice as they drink tea.

Brent promised the 63 year old Patriarch that he's personally taking care of it.

"I knew who did this Mr. Powell..." Lara intervenes.

Mrs. Powell stops in mid-air from sipping  her tea, "Really, So why is the killer still at large?!" Her eyes are swollen from crying but she's facing their visitors with elegant composure.

Brent looks at Lara with indignant stare to hush her."We have a lead but we don't have concrete evidence yet." 

"Why do you have to do that?!" Brent confronts Lara sitting next to him in the taxi for a 16 minute drive to The Paramount Apartments after they left the Powells.

"Don't we know the suspect?! We could have told General Powell about her so he can really spread his connections to grab that bitch from her hiding place. Why do you always protect her Brent? Did you become a fool so inlove that you're very blinded of the fake  innocence which Nikola carries on to lure men?" Lara's voice is in total disgust and disappointment.

Brent sighs. "We're not sure yet. She's still innocent unless proven guilty in the court of law. Just hush it to lessen the aggravation  of these crimes." He never wanted an argument with any woman. Much with women like her.

Nikola is different. She's always scared. She could never hurt a fly. Yeah, he had forgiven her. Love covereth the multitudes of sins.

Brent remains quiet for the rest of the drive until the taxi stops at the Paramount building. They step in the elevator to the 23rd floor in silence. Brent presses the door bell of the Unit incessantly but no answer. It's 5:16 PM. 

The opposite door opens. The next door neighbor says Gem just opened the door for her room mate when she's getting in her flat so the girls must be inside. Lara taps the door as Brent presses the doorbell. Yet, Still no answer so he decides to open it by force.

 Yet, Still no answer so he decides to open it by force

Gem is dead by the doorway. A shot on her chest killed her instantly.

Lara holds her gun as Brent quietly walks to each bedroom with gun in hand.

Nobody in the room but a suitcase.

POSTED: APRIL 10, 2018

EDITED: MAY 28, 2018