Mr. Montgomery turned to a young woman with golden hair and bright, green eyes, and a wide smile. "This is my youngest daughter, Amelia."

Edward froze. Amelia. She's the one my father said-

"How do you do," Miss Amelia curtsied, smiling brightly. Edward and Matthew both bowed again, and Edward swallowed hard. She was definitely lovely. He hoped she would like him of her own will, and then he would be off the hook.

Just then, Edward glanced up and saw the dark haired beauty descending the staircase. His breath caught in his throat. It's her. The woman I ran into on the street that day. I can't believe she's here, right in front of me.

Mr. Montgomery turned to the young woman as she reached the bottom of the stairs. "May I introduce my oldest daughter, Elizabeth."

Edward paused in front of her. Her mouth hung open, eyes wide with recognition. Edward bowed, his eyes never leaving hers, his hand extended. She slowly placed her hand in his and he softly kissed her fingers. "Elizabeth," he breathed.

They were shaken from the moment as Mr. Montgomery said, "This is Edward Stanton and his friend, Matthew Callaway."

Matthew bowed to Miss Montgomery, taking her attention from Edward. He just stood there, staring at her, not believing how much more complicated his situation had just become.

Mrs. Gray moved toward them. "I'll show you both to your rooms so that you may rest. Your luggage has already been sent up. Come along." She led the way up the staircase.

Edward glanced again at Miss Montgomery as he walked by her to climb the stairs. He inclined his head to her and smiled, "See you at supper, Miss Elizabeth."

------------------------------------

Elizabeth's head was spinning. How could this be possible? The very man she had found to be so rude and arrogant and never wanted to lay eyes on again was going to share her family's dinner table, tonight. And the next night, and the next, and so on...for, how long had her father said?

An undetermined amount of time.

Elizabeth paced back and forth across the parlor room floor. She had escaped the entryway as soon as her father's guests had mounted the stairs. The last thing she wanted was questions from her father or sister about the odd introduction that had just taken place. What was that all about, anyway? Mr. Stanton had bowed and taken her hand and kissed it, keeping his eyes firmly fixed on hers. What kind of game was he playing? Was that his chauvinist way of letting her know he remembered her? Elizabeth closed her eyes.

Lord, I don't know if I can do this. I don't know if I can stand to be in the room with that man, he annoys every fiber of my being. How am I supposed to be polite to a man like that?

Amelia burst in the door to the parlor, interrupting Elizabeth's thoughts.

"Lizzie! Isn't this fun? Here we have two handsome, eligible bachelors all to ourselves! Let us be sure not to argue over them," Amelia giggled. "Which one do you find most handsome? I find the blond haired one rather dashing- what was his name? Mr. Callaway?"

Elizabeth just stared at her sister. "No. I do not find this fun."

"Oh, Lizzie, don't be a stick in the mud! You can wait to tell me whom you prefer when you learn more about them." Amelia looked like a child on Christmas morning.

Aunt Charlotte stuck her head inside the parlor just then.

"Oh, here you two are." Aunt Charlotte looked from Amelia's radiant countenance to Elizabeth's face of dread.

"Aunt Charlotte! We were just discussing how handsome and dashing those two gentlemen are!" Amelia bounced.

"Alright, then. There will be plenty of time for that, they've only just arrived. Amelia, run along and pick out a gown for dinner tonight. I need to speak with Elizabeth," Aunt Charlotte waved Amelia from the room.

"Yes, ma'am. Lizzie, I can help you choose your dress, too, if you like!" Amelia sailed out of the room.

Aunt Charlotte closed the parlor door and silence fell around the two of them. She motioned for Elizabeth to join her on the sofa.

"My dear child, what is ailing you? You look miserable."

Elizabeth looked down at her hands in her lap. "Well, you know I don't particularly enjoy these social events- I'm dreadfully awkward- and, well, it always feels as though the hopes of a potential marriage is being forced upon us...I know Papa only wants the best for us, but I feel as though I let him down each time I reject a suitor. I'm not trying to be difficult, I just haven't found someone I'm fond of yet, if I ever will." Her face changed, taking on a scowl. "And, this Edward is a real dandy, all puffed up and arrogant. I don't want to share his company." She sighed. "I just don't know what to do."

"My dear," Aunt Charlotte smiled at her sympathetically. "God made you just the way you are, and you're unique and special to Him. He also made a man just for you, and when the time is right, you'll find him. It's good that you love your Papa so much, but he will be okay, no matter what you decide. He just wants to see you happy and well cared for. That's why he does all of this."

Aunt Charlotte paused. "As for this Edward, as you say, perhaps he's not as he seems. Give him a chance to show you who he really is. If he is truly all the things you say, then this visit will be short lived. And, of course, there's his friend, Mr. Callaway." Aunt Charlotte grinned knowingly at her, "Although, if you ask my opinion, Mr. Stanton appeared to be quite taken with you just now. He barely bowed to your sister."

Elizabeth's cheeks flushed. "Oh, Aunt Charlotte..."

Aunt Charlotte laughed. "It's alright, dear. We shall see what unfolds. Just remember not to take everything so seriously, and have a little fun, like your sister."

Elizabeth grinned slightly, and then looked down at her hands. "Aunt Charlotte, do you really believe that God made a man especially for me?"

Aunt Charlotte took hold of Elizabeth's hands. "I know so, my dear. Pray and ask the Lord to show you who that special man is. Pray for him, too."

Elizabeth looked thoughtful. "I'll do that. Thank you for everything, Aunt Charlotte," Elizabeth hugged her aunt tightly. "I've missed you so much, I'm so glad that you're here."

"I've missed you, too, Lizzie. Come along, now. Let's go see about your sister, she's probably picked out five or six gowns by now," Aunt Charlotte grinned and Elizabeth giggled.