Introduction

¿Chapter 1?

I never truly understood what it was like to have a family. It seemed like I envied anyone that I met because they had one, at least one that wasn't broken. I never understood love either. Why does everyone portray it as the biggest and best thing? I never believed in love. You see, my parents were young and stupid, only 19 when they got married and 20 when they had my sister, Amelia (we call her Mia). They were 22 when they had me. I'm Bailey by the way; I thought you might have wanted to know. My earliest memories were of them fighting. Man, they fought over the littlest things. Their constant fighting would leave me feeling scared, angry, and confused. Aren't they supposed to be in love? Love. If love was such a good thing why did it hurt? Anyway, my Aunt eventually stepped in and watched over my sister & I, until my parents resolved things. Their resolution was to get a divorce. My mother moved back to her home town of Brighton. Since my parents lived so far apart the court decided to let my sister and I choose where we wanted to live. We both decided to live with our Dad & Aunt Noelle (my baby cousin would also live with us) most of the year. We would visit our mum only for a week or two out of our holidays. My mother wasn't at all mad at us. In fact, she seemed rather relieved that we wouldn't be living with her. She became engaged to my step-father, Simon. I hate him. I hate her. I'm ashamed to share the same blood as that woman. The first time I went to visit her, would be my last. I was eight years old and my sister was ten. I'm not going to share the exact details; at least not yet. All I will say is that he abused me, mentally & physically. All she did was sit their and watch. She knew. She saw. She didn't do shit. He never touched Mia, but she was to afraid to say anything to him for fear the same would happen to her. I left that house vowing never to step one foot in it again. I never talked about that week and what actually happened. Mia never brought it up, so I never felt it was necessary too. I just told my dad that I didn't feel comfortable being away from the house. He nodded and said that I didn't have to go if I didn't want to. That was the best part about my father, he rarely asked questions.