[Jimbei]

(Female Mermaid reader)
(Jimbei/Jinbe I went with the spelling Jimbei and my flip is a 'J' starting to look weird to me as I stare at it.)

        A tale spread across Fishmen island of a young mermaid with the upmost beautiful scales that could make any scaled creature jealous with one look. This girl never flaunted their beauty, in fact, she showed them to no one for reasons that were only mere speculations. This story wavered from person to person, each with their own stories. One version said she traded her ability to breathe underwater for the magnificent scales. Another shows a more modern tale that she simply works behind a counter all day with her tail hidden. People believed they found the girl, she couldn't breathe underwater and had a beautiful set of scales yet, that girl wasn't the one. You were that person, not the other one people found. She had her own tale of being the Royal inventors niece. You, in fact, work behind a counter all day and breathing underwater was definitely something you were capable of.

"Have a nice day!" You shouted towards a customer as they left with a wave.

"Hey, do you by any chance have anything like this?" A girl, who was likely the one people mistook for you about the story as her tail shined beautifully as it waved in a bubble ring. She held up a small pink pendent.

"I actually think I might..." You swam a little towards your right to check a shelf in your cozy area behind the counter that was convenient for someone's tail that hasn't yet split as it was filled to a third with water.

"Is this it?" You swam back over with an open box and two almost identical pendants to the one she held, except one was cracked with a missing chip.

"Yes, how much?"

"Considering it's made from a rare coral... It would be pretty pricey. I can allow monthly payments if you need to." You told her the amount as her face shook with worry yet, never once wavering to a no. She, in the end, decided with the monthly payments.

Another customer, or customers, walked in but they were the unusual and not the common kind, humans. If more humans were on the island, maybe they wouldn't stand out so much, their appearance just seemed so plain compared to the Fishmen and Merfolk that inhabited the island. Though they looked plain, these humans seemed to look like trouble.

"There's a lot of crappy old stuff in here- and look at this." His words slurred yet, not seemingly drunk just arrogant and a thug up to no good. "There's a pretty fish behind the counter."

    "With all that water back there you have to be a mermaid. I wonder what kind." The other grinned as he approached you, with the first man in tow.

     "Yes little minnow what kind. Are. You?" The first one was being ever more arrogant then before as he leaned over to try and peak at your tail.

      On just one string of luck, outside you could see some of the royal guards taking a watchful stroll around the streets. You were going to shout for them but their attention was already grabbed and they looked to be formulating a plan to help so you did nothing, letting their presence be unknown to the thugs in the store.

"What do you guys want?" You hissed under your breath.

"Oh, you know exactly what. It's the only place for fish like you, the auction house. Mermaids, they fetch a pretty Beri."

You were trapped behind that counter, no where to effectively swim off to, and exits blocked as the only one was the front door. They encroached on your space. Closer, and closer. The two men climbed over the counter and in their sight was a lovely and magnificent tail filled with colours that practically sensed the other world.

"Oh we can definitely fetch a high price for you, your scales are unlike the other fish women's."

In the corner of your eye, looking out the front glassed window, you saw a blue fishman. Without hesitation he busted into the shop.

     He didn't hesitate punching the two men's face in, he could easily sense the situation. A mermaid, trapped and scare by two humans with roped and chains along their backs.

      The two humans were knocked unconscious before they even knew what happened as four guards came walking in the store, ready to arrest the men.

     "Jimbei? Thank you so much!" You nearly cried with relief as you weren't taken by the two humans. You knew Jimbei, just as much as many others did on the island, they respected the man and his ways. You didn't know him personally but respected him for the things he has done.

     "Are you okay?" He asked, reaching his blue webbed hand towards you. "Your tail!" He recognized it immediately, that it was unlike many others. He instantly connected it to the stories and rumors going around.

     "Ahhh... Yes, I try to keep it hidden."

      "I won't tell a soul. Are you really the one spoken from those tales?" He asked, sitting on the counter and fairly intrigued at this point.

    "I guess so... what are you doing on fishman island though? You know- never mind that. Can you make the guard's capture of the humans secret?"

     "And why is that?" He responded confusingly, waiting for your answer.

     "It would only lead the others on this island to believe less in humans. It's easier for them to find the bad things in humans versus the good after all." You stated confidently.

      Jimbei looked honestly shocked by your words, it was as if there were still those who believed in both races being equal.

      "I'll do my best to keep late queen Otohime's wishes." He bowed, knowing full well that you supported the late queen's wishes and desires for the two races to be equal.

       "Thank you. I think, if we all listen to her wishes for fishmen and humans alike, this world can be a much better place."

      "I... do to" He hesitated with his words as long ago he wasn't so sure about the situation. "Call the guards if you ever need help." Jimbei walked out of the shop with a small hopeful smile of hope.

     "Will do Jimbei, will do."