CHAPTER 11: THE PREDICAMENT

Start from the beginning

She will come out of her room, and praise herself thus:

" It is me Talai the mother of men. A woman from a lineage of great men who produces great men. When people fail to honor, I rush to save all with a befitting heir."

When she stumbles She says "careful mother of men, the female delivering machine is casting you an evil eye" in a bold loud voice.

People in the compound usually burst into laughter whenever she say such things. Yarinya never finds it funny. She will retreat to her room.

Then Talai started complaining of mysterious pains. Maigida Sule had a bright idea. He said he will take her to the hospital. The child needed special attention. The hospital is far away from the village. Nobody visits it except the wealthy in extreme circumstances. He was ready to spend a fortune on the future mother of his sons. Maigida Sule is affluent, he even owned his own personal motorcycle.

He took her to the hospital. The doctor said she was fine. She kept visiting the hospital while Maigida Sule accompanied her. In one of the visits, the Doctor mentioned a very awe striking procedure. It was called "scanning" it can detect the sex of child before birth. Maigida Sule Was excited about this advanced procedure and wanted it. The day of the procedure came. It was like she was going to be operated on. People came to wish her GoodLuck. Some taught her prayers for success, so that she may survive the complicated procedure.

Unfortunately, that very day Maigida Sule could not make it, there was an emergency. He had to go to town to buy ferterlizer. He wanted to postpone his trip, but his brother insisted he takes the trip and that he will take care of Talai. Reluctantly, he went to town. His brother and some women accompanied her that fateful day.

At the hospital, the doctor told them, they all had to wait outside. She was to go inside alone. They wished her well, they waited, rosary by hand as they prayed for her. It was indeed an important event.

To her surprise the Doctor just put a mysterious gel on her stomach and rubs a technology of wonder on her stomach. Then he said the words, the ghastly three words that almost gave her a heart attack. " its a girl" he said.

She was in shock, her eyes flooded with tears. This is something she had not expected. Her father was blessed with 40 children among which 32 were all male. This cannot be happening to her.

Disgusted the Doctor said " hmmm, time to clear out the room, I have other patients to see. Take this. This is a picture of your DAUGHTER" stressing the word daughter as he gives her a picture that was more like swirls of black and white. The picture was stapled to a white paper behind it. She collected the paper with trembling hands.

She went out, all her escorts came rushing. Seeing her crying. "Sannu(sorry)" they all say with concern. One of them said " it must have been painful"

the other replied " any procedure that can detect the sex of child before birth had to be painful, they will have to operate on her before they can see"

"yes, yes" they all say in unison. A woman among them held her, walked her to a sit and sat her down, while the men went to get a motorcycle ready for the journey back home. Talai did not say anything.
Then one of them bravely asked " so? "
Talai replied "they have confirmed it, it's a boy"

She was home, happy sounds were being made. Maigida Sule was congratulated by all. It was time to see his wife.

Upon entering her room she said "good tidings my love, father of my son"

He just laughed a happy laugh, he jumped and embraced her tightly. " mother of my son, you are indeed a blessing" he said.

"take a look at your son" she said giving him the picture.