Brent's forehead furrows. Is he hearing this right or just too much exaggeration from Lara? He knows she doesn't like Nikola since day 1.

Picture of Diego Lucas is brought on screen and beside him is a familiar face though quite younger amidst blonde short hair and dark glasses.

"Interpol has been monitoring Diego but they cannot file any evidence yet for his underworld dealings. He's using aliases in his dirty business."

Lara throws a glance at Brent as she continues, "They submit this shot to us as the couple dated in Malaysia. She was only turning 17 at that time. Diego managed to get a passport for her with a fake name as Angelina Munsi, aged 20 on the passport. This Diego Lucas is involved in a syndicated group. Kidnapping, selling women or smuggling them. He's Italian and he brought her to Monte Isola, a small remote town in Italy. They lived together for a year until Angelina met a man named Francesco Tocci, a 65 year old man who owned a cozy Bed & Breakfast in Italy with a branch in Connecticut named La Foresta. She married him and was found dead in his Italian house 2 weeks after the wedding in Rome. Five stabs on his chest, hitting his aorta killed him very fast. But no weapon in the crime scene. Her alibi was she was left in a party at the restaurant that night of the murder. Guests testified including Diego Lucas. The authorities did not dig deeper into the case. No relatives to push the case. Once cleared, she sold her husband's property and fled to Venice then used the name Nikola Tocci. She's there for 2 years until she met John Cargill."

Brent gets flustered but he remains quiet.

"So Alexandria May Clayton, a.k.a. Nikola Tocci is only 20 years old not 23. First victim in L.A. was her husband." Lara stares at Brent's direction. "But we all know she's off the hook from Cargill's murder. No weapon found and no witness so we can't have a case against her."

The projector shows a combined picture of 2 men. "Next victim was 44 year old Kevin McDougal, an Engineer whom she met at The Rooftop shortly after she was released as the suspect on Cargill's death. The latest was 46 year old Clive Dunn who gave her a lift  to McArthur Park which is only a stone thrown away to her apartment at Mid-Wilshire. She either stabbed or gunned down her victims. Diego Lucas maybe her accomplice so be careful guys. This couple kills without mercy like the famous deadly serial killer couple, Fred and Rosemary West. If you have no more questions, we can start our man-hunt operation." Lara turns off the projector.

The men vacate their seats until Brent and Lara are the only people left in the room. Brent is speechless. He's only gone for a day and now his girlfriend is the prime suspect AGAIN?

"How sure are you with these findings?" His look of concern is obvious.

Lara walks towards him and hands a folder. "Here's her file that I gathered. Check by yourself. The CCTV footage is  already sent to your inbox."

Brent flips on the folders. Clippings show the history of Nikola from every place she went along with the crimes that happened before she left  the area.

"I know you pity the girl but we can't let a criminal just walk away. She's paying cash. Not using any credit card. We cannot trace her phone number, either buying then tossing away or she's only using someone else's.  She's smart and been using her innocent lovely face to lure men. You, included." Lara's voice has a hint of sarcasm.

"I know where she is." Brent whispers as he scans the clippings. He stands up and says "...but let me take care of this alone. I'll bring her here in the Station."

So they have communication? A pang of great frustration struck Lara.

The distraught detective heads to the door. Is Nikola a true serial killer? He paused and asked, "By the way, have you seen Simon?"

Lara nods absentmindedly without looking at him. Her negative emotion about Brent and Nikola made her weak in the knees as she  sits on the chair vacated by Brent.

"I was with him last night." She murmurs as if talking to herself.

Brent raises his eyebrow. Finally, Lara accepted Simon's invitation. A glint of smile appears on his lips. Simon had always been all eyes on Lara but she kept ignoring him for 3 years.

"You guys going out alone together now?" his voice is in happy tone for his two friends amidst the painful breakthrough on Nikola.

Lara nods with a bitter smile. She can't have Brent yet so she turns to another man. Misery loves company.

It was her birthday yesterday. He never remembered. Not even a call because he's maybe busy with another woman whom he just met. She fussed for his birthday 3 years in a row but was never reciprocated.

Brent taps the folder on his other hand. "That's a good development. I'll go ahead to look for Simon. He called me very early this morning. Maybe he found something."

As the door closed, the tears which she has been controlling in Brent's presence race down her cheeks.

Why can't someone love her back like the way she loves?

Lara walks out of the conference room after composing herself. She throws a glance at  Brent who is glued on his desk. She leaves the building with a heavy heart.

POSTED: MARCH 20, 2018

EDITED: MAY 24, 2018