Chapter 4

Saturday

They didn't go to the mall. But Mrs. Monet did talk them into going to a shopping district with small stores lined up on either side of the street like the shops in a mall lining the walkway. There were a lot people, too. Otto didn't like it. He could tell his foster father wasn't happy either. Mrs. Monet, however, was elated. It wasn't often that she had such an opportunity to go out shopping like this. She couldn't contain her excitement in just one store. She flitted from one shop to the next touching every piece of clothing in arms reach. Otto and his foster father followed unhappily after her waiting for her to lose energy or interest.

This wasn't one of the family's usual shopping spots. In fact, Otto couldn't recall ever shopping here. He had only driven through it. Otto hated going to new places. People in new places stared after him and his nose casing. It made him want to hunch over and hide his face. When his mother wandered into the next clothing store, he huddled in a corner with his face in the clothes where no one would notice him.

“Otto. Otto? Where did you go? I have something for you to try on. I think this will look great on you.” His foster mother couldn't keep her voice down. She was too excited to be out. She needed some frivolous friends to go out with.

Otto turned around and accepted whatever his mother put in his arms without saying anything. Then he walked back to the changing rooms feeling good about being locked in a small stall by himself for a while.

“Come out when you're done trying each one on. I want to see them on you!” His foster mother wasn't going to let him have any refuge.

Otto grudgingly took his shirt off, examining the holes that his foster mother was complaining about. Then he pulled the new shirt on, sighed, and stepped out of the stall. He found himself staring at Lancret just a few yards away.

“Otto?” Lancret spotted him as well.

An electric surge ran down his spine. Seeing Lancret around school was one thing, but running into her while he was trying on clothes was far beyond his comfort level. He swallowed hard and tried to come up with a response. What do people say when they see each other by accident? This never even happened with Ruskin before.

“Hello,” was all he could manage.

“Otto, the shirt looks fantastic on you! Who's your friend?” Mrs. Monet straightened out the collar around Otto's neck and brushed a piece of lint from his shoulder.

“It looks nice, Otto. I like that color on you,” Lancret understood the awkwardness of the situation and tried her best to be supportive through it.

“What's your name, sweetie?” Mrs. Monet decided to ask her directly since Otto wasn't responding.

“I'm Lancret, hi, you must be Otto's mom.” Lancret held out her hand to Mrs. Monet.

Otto practically fell back into the dressing stall and locked the door. Outside, he could still hear them talking.

“Nice to meet you, Lancret, are you in Otto's classes?”

“Just one. I am in Mr. Detroy's class with Otto.”

“Oh, I heard about what happened. I'm so sorry for you all. I understand he was a good teacher.”

“He was. We all liked him. Otto was very comforting about it all, though.”

“He was, was he?”

“Oh, yes.”

Otto stayed in the stall while they talked. He sat down on the stool and pulled his feet up as if he could hide himself and everyone would forget he was there.