Chapter One - Shaky Start

Copyright©︎KarmaaLo™️2019
Copyright©︎anonymous434_™️2024

~*~*~*~*~*~*
Central, Florida
Azealia Gardens
2:14 PM

The red dot on the laptop blinked signaling it was on and recording.

Sydney Loflin sat down in her computer chair nervous as ever, even though it was just her in the room at this time but she knew she had to make this video.

Before she decided to make this one she had checked the views of the ring security footage that she uploaded a month ago for the fifteenth time.

Each time she uploaded it it would get fewer and fewer views before being taken down altogether for violating community guidelines.

She didn't know what else to do, the police had stopped taking her calls and the detective that initially took on the case never called her back.

Eventually when she would go to the police station they had no file of the report she had made nearly a year ago last May.

"I'm making this video because for the last year I haven't been able to sleep." She wished she had never gone to the frat party that night.

She didn't even want to go but Brent promised he'd tell Jasmine that they were breaking up and that he wanted to be with her instead.

"On May 15th of last year, I saw one of the scariest things I've ever seen in my life, I'll insert the clip here. The ring camera that my dad got me, you know those things that are for your door? Well that night there was a girl. As you saw in the footage she was..." Sydney wiped away the tears with her sweater sleeve.

"She was running from someone. I was drunk and barely paying attention but it was clear she needed help. I just don't know what to do anymore. The police won't help, the news won't take the story. We all know that human trafficking is real and no one wants to help."

Several people had recounted what happened the following day. Her neighbors talked about hearing the girl screaming for help.

Most people moved out in the following months when they weren't given safety updates from the University administration.

"It's nearly been a year. I just want to know if she's alright and safe. I did everything I could to help and it feels like I've done nothing." Sydney dropped her head in her hands and just sobbed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*
Lake City, Florida
Bank of America
10:11 AM

I shifted in the driver's seat of the maroon Toyota Camry.

Deep breaths. Everything will be fine.

Rachel had been in there for fifteen minutes. We planned to get here when they first opened but I wasn't able to keep down the bagel and cereal I had from the motel's complimentary breakfast.

I know Rachel was doing her best to be supportive but out of the two of us my morning sickness was just non-stop.

Of course we were both stressed about being on the run but my sickness was just in complete overdrive.

Once you guys get to the library you can do some research on how to get it to go away while she prints another map. Sub was busy trying to chainsaw through the bank vault door but still gave somewhat decent advice.

"I've been sleeping too much and losing every meal. I don't care about keeping anything down, I'm trying to wait until the dust settles a bit so I can get to a clinic." I had lost all hope of battling this fight against my nausea. What was the point? I had sort of felt that I left my strength somewhere in that prison. In a time where I thought I'd still be swinging my sword on the battle field it was all in all just in my head, a path I wasn't on currently.