I nodded. Ever since I had been born I had always been into guys. But now, they all seemed so boring and outdated. I knew what Marisa meant. This was all new to me, yet it felt so normal. And I told her all this.

"So, you don't hate me?"

"Why would I ever hate you K.C. Cooper?"

"I was just worried I would ruin our relationship thanks to all this."

She chuckled, "For a smart girl you are acting very dumb. I've been through worse than stuff like this."

"Like...?"

"Near-Death experiences. They seem to happen way too often when I'm with you."

This time, I laughed, "True."

"Now, want to go to Bennimama's after school? It could be fu-un." She sing-songed.

I shrugged, "I guess. I'll have to check my schedule, I've been pretty busy with my other friends lately."

She raised an eyebrow, "Very funny."

I just rolled my eyes, "Fine."

We got up and left the cafeteria to wonder the halls. She squeezed my hand, "You missed me, didn't you?"

"No." I lied.

"Oh please, what would you do without me?"

"Be quiet."

"Just admit it!"

"Nope."

"Liar! You totally missed me!"

"I have no idea what you are talking about."

She tickled my side, "Just say you did!"

"Okay, I officially hate you now."

"Oh please K.C., you love me."

Marisa pecked me on the cheek and turned the corner. My cheeks grew red and I lifted my hand to touch the spot where she had just kissed me. I smiled, my cheeks turning as pink as the lipstick Marisa had been wearing.

Why did she do that? I wondered.

I ran through the halls feeling as giddy as a child on Christmas morning. I knocked heads with someone and we both fell to the ground. I helped the student up who turned out to be my idiot brother. I was in to good of a mood to call him out on it, so I didn't. He noticed the goofy smile on my face and then the stain of lipstick on my cheek and understood.

"Nice." Ernie commented, then left.

I giggled and went on to class. School went by fast today, it was because I was excited to be with Marisa. We met at the front of the school. She was already there holding her cellphone in her right hand and waving me over. I picked up my pace and wrapped her in a long, strong hug.

"Marisa!"

My blonde friend turned around to see Tyler. He was running up to us wearing a pair of worn out sandals, the idiot. He shoved past me and grabbed Marisa's hands. Naturally, I fell to the ground.

"Hey, baby." He greeted, pecking her on the cheek. But much to my surprise she shoved him off and went over to me. She reached a hand down and helped me up, "You alright?" She asked. I smiled at her, "Fine."

Marisa turned to Tyler, "What was that about?"

He shrugged, "What do you mean?"

"You almost hurt K.C."

"So? Its not like she died." He changed the subject, "Want to go to Benimama's tonight? I hear they have a new floor show."

"No thanks. I've actually got plans to hang out with K.C. tonight."

"What? No, no, no. You can't do that."

"And why not?"

"Because...well...because..."

"Oh my God. Are you threatened by her?"

"No. Of course not! Why would I be threatened by a girl like her?"

I stepped forward, "And what exactly is that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing, nothing." He stepped back a bit. I raised my fist, but Marisa grabbed my hand before I could take a shot, "Chill, Kace."

I rolled my eyes but obeyed. She stepped in front of me and stared into the eyes of her boyfriend, "You are really something, aren't you Tyler?"

He smiled, "Yes, yes I am."

She gazed up at him and grabbed his chin, gently pulling his face closer to her lips. I stared at her in horror. What was she doing? Tyler puckered his lips, but she slapped him instead.

He pulled back and rubbed the red mark that was now on his face, "What was that for?"

"Nobody messes with me or my best friend." She walked away but paused to kick some dirt in his face. I laughed and led Marisa to my car, driving us all the way to our favorite restaurant.

"Did you see the look on his face?" I remarked as we walked inside.

"Yeah, that was hilarious."

The hostess cleared her throat, "Table for two?"

I nodded, and she smiled in return. She sat us down at a table in the back and handed us two menus, each opened to the romantic section. We exchanged looks and stared up at the waitress, "What is this?" I asked, holding up the menu.

"The couples' specials. I thought you two might like it."

"Why?"

"Well, you two are..." She gestured to our holding hands, and we both grew pink in the face.

"We're not dating." Marisa said, crossing her arms.

"Yeah." I said, closing the menu. I looked up at her, "We already know what we want anyway."

The hostess bit her lip and took back our menus. Marisa smiled at me and I smiled back and we each burst into fits of laughter.

It wasn't the first time people had thought we were together, and I was alright with that. I might not be so lucky for her to be my actual girlfriend, but in my own little world she was.

The aftermath of the situation hadn't been as negative as I would have predicted. She still wanted to be around me, and that was all I needed.

To know deep down, she still cared for me.