Aftermath

When you confess your love to someone, there is always some sort of result. Especially when you confess it to your best friend. Things like that are always noticed by anyone with an attention span.

Which was why I was constantly being shunned or mocked wherever I went. I ate by myself now, which to be honest, wasn't all that unusual. Marisa was always getting in trouble with her teachers, and its not like I had many friends.

A tray was set down across from me and I heard a screech of a chair being pulled back. I looked up from my spaghetti and was surprised to see my best friend. She was poking at her own salad doing her best not to meet my eyes.

"Marisa." I said, smiling, "what are you doing here?"

"What, is it a crime to sit with you or something?"

"No...I'm just surprised to see you."

She set her spork down and looked into my eyes, "I'm sorry."

"Why are you sorry? I freaked you out, I should be the one apologizing."

"True." Marisa rested her chin on her hands, "But I think this whole thing is fifty fifty. It wasn't cool of me to freeze you off like that. Besides—" She grabbed my hand and my heart fluttered, "—it takes a lot of guts to say something like that."

I nodded, "But what about my feelings? Won't that make things awkward between us?"

"We'll make it work. To be honest, I don't think I could live much longer without you K.C. I didn't mean to ignore you actually, Tyler was basically dragging me around every time I saw you."

I rolled my eyes, "Figures."

She just laughed in return, then we returned to silence. I heard her sigh.

"What's wrong, Marisa?" I asked, not looking up from my food.

"What makes you think anything's wrong?"

"Oh, please. I know your I-need-attention sigh. Just tell me what's up."

She seemed hesitant at first, but nodded, "Okay. Just promise not to freak out."

"Why would I freak out?" My eyes widened, "Its not anything bad is it?"

"I'm not sure, actually." She looked down and fiddled with the necklace that she was wearing.

I scooted my chair closer to her, "Just tell me."

She sucked in a deep breath of air and looked at me, "K.C.?"

"Yeah?"

Marisa grabbed my left hand, "I know this whole you being in love with me is freaky right?"

Freaky? I thought.

"Y-Yeah, I mean I guess."

"Not like that, though." She reassured, "I knew I'd attract beautiful young woman someday."

"B-Beautiful?"

"Yeah. The weird thing for me in all this is that my best friend is the one who likes me, you know? I mean, you of all people. You just don't look the type."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you don't look like the type of person who would be into girls."