prologue.

It was either 1 AM or 2 AM. Either way, it was late at night on a friday and the sound of harsh objects connecting with the window woke Sarah up. Then followed the sound of a male, slurring voice yelling and calling her. Reluctantly, she rolled off her bed and opened her window carefully, looking out for flying stones. The guy standing just inches away from her now — her room was on the first floor of the house — instantly shut up and frowned at her.

"You're not Jessica." He stated the obvious and looked up at her.

"Jessica Haynes? She's three houses away, dude. You're calling the wrong chick a bitch." Sarah raised one eyebrow in amusement and grimaced when the stench of alcohol finally reached her.

"Sorry." He apologized and took the liberty of stepping closer. "I know you though, right? You look familiar."

Holding back an eyeroll, Sarah licked her lips and waited for him to recognize her. She knew who he was and if he were sober, he'd see who she was too. It wasn't that big of a town and most of the youths all went to the same school. Plus, they knew each other. He kept looking at her until he snapped his fingers and grinned widely.

"Figured it out yet?"

"No." He pouted and shook his head. For a short moment, he lost his balance and swayed side to side which worried her.

"Alright, tell me where you live and I'll drive you home." She caved in, already putting a hoodie on and gathering her car keys from her desk.

"Really? Even though I called you a bitch and a slut?" He asked in complete shock, a hand against his chest.

"Even despite that." She chuckled and gracefully jumped down from her window, landing solidly on both feet and glanced at him. She expected him to be taller than her but they were almost the same height.

Sarah started walking toward her car but when he almost tripped she quickly grabbed onto his arm and led him to the vehicle. He giggled as if that was the most hilarious thing he's ever done and then slumped down in the passenger seat.

"Seriously, you're a life saver." He smiled tiredly as she ignited the car. Then he gave her the address and fiddled with a piece of paper that he found. "And I'm pretty sure your name is Diana."

"Not even close, man." She frowned with her lips in disapproval and shook her head slowly. He groaned and rubbed his forehead with his thumb and index finger.

"Okay, I give up." He shrugged dramatically, turning his head to look at her. His dark eyes narrowed in and his lips turned into a thoughtful yet smirking crooked smile.

"You've only guessed once, how can you already give up?" She laughed and briefly looked at him.

"Just tell me your name." He said quietly.

"It's Sarah."

"Sahara?"

"No, it's–" She started but cut herself off when she remembered how wasted he was and how he most likely wouldn't even wake up remembering all of this. "Yeah, that's it."

"It's very cool." He whispered and leaned his head against the window. "Bet you don't even know my name." He then challenged her, which made her grow a smirk across her face. After a moment of silence, he gazed back at her and raised his eyebrows.

"It's Gabriel. You and I have four classes together, you're part of the football team and you take art classes which some think are weird because apparently a sporty guy can't be artistic." She answered and watched him sink down in the seat.

"Aw, look at you knowing stuff about me." He nudged her arm with his own and then clutched his own stomach. She widened her eyes in fear that he would puke in her car and exhaled when his house came to sight.

"And we're here. Nice house." She commented and examined it quickly.

"If I ruined your window, I can pay for it." Gabriel offered as he leaned in a little closer. She twisted sideways and smiled at him, barely shaking her head because he looked so tired and worn out but still as if he was flirting.

"Really? Aw, that's so sweet of you." She said sarcastically with a hand against her chest.

"Don't... do that mean thing." He whined and she blinked at him, clueless of what he meant with his words. "You know, that sarcastic, demeaning mean thing when drunken me is trying to be nice."

"To be fair, it's only right of you to pay for something you damaged. And you called me things that I should punch you for." She retorted.

"To be fair, I thought you were my ex." He poked her nose childishly.

"Why did you two break up anyway?" She asked curiously rested her elbow against the seat and her cheek against her fist.

"She cheated on me. Original, right?" He laughed but without humor and bit his bottom lip harshly. Sarah studied his expression and felt a little bad for asking but knowing his circle of friends and their school, she'd probably find out soon enough regardless.

"I'm sorry." She finally said and fiddled with her fingernails. Being out in a car at midnight was one of those occasions that felt out of space and strange, sort of like being by a busstop for too long. It was a liminal space and the need to start the car and drive back home hastily crawled to her mind.

"Eh, it's fine. I deserve better anyway." He shrugged shamelessly, making her genuinely grin down at her lap.

"That's great, know your value. Though I did not expect that, she seems like a cool pe–" Sarah rambled but was silenced by Gabriel when he smirked and pressed his lips against hers.

Sarah was so taken aback that she literally leaned backwards in surprise. Gabriel held the back of her head and tangled his fingers in her long, black hair while she eased into the sudden kiss and grabbed his shirt to pull him closer. This was stupid and she knew that, she really did, but she had to get some reward for being wrongfully awakened at 2 AM and having to drive someone home.

"Thanks for the ride, Sahara." Gabriel winked at her before exiting the car and stumbling toward his house. When he reached the front door though he regained his proper balance and sneaked in as if he'd done this a hundred times before. He probably had too.

Sarah watched him disappear and then closed her eyes for a brief moment. She was too tired to even analyse the situation so instead she drove home, climbed back into her room and went to bed, hoping he was way too drunk to remember the night.