Prologue

Gosh, this is my first book ever... apologies from grammar mistakes, I'm definitely failing the grammar criteria if this was homework. Please vote and comment!

The weather is clear today. Lazy white clouds drifted across the cerulean sky, taking the forms of misty animals, swirling and regrouping. The sun shone brightly overhead, a white globe that heated the ground and casted deep shadows on the neighbouring hills, making the green hues of the view pop.

I smiled lightly, cheerful at the prospect of such a good day, leaning against the wall next to my open window, looking out to the lush plains dotted with horses and cattle below.

Maybe I'll go riding astride later, something I haven't done since finishing school. I thought of the times on my black stallion, Abyss, when we used to challenged ourselves with jumps, sailing over logs and rivers, with wind rushing pass my face as I laughed in joy.

A knock resonated, pulling me from my memories, and I straightened, fixing a practiced demure smile on my face. "Yes?"

My door creaked open, and a maid poked her head in. When she saw me looking at her, her cheeks flushed pink and looked away, obviously not knowing what to do.

So she's new here. When it was clear she wasn't going to come in, I crossed the room with a few quick steps and held the door open. The maid instantly stopped fidgeting, dropping into a curtesy, ears turning a shade of dark puce. "M-my apologies, lady Eleanor..." she trailed off, and steeled herself. "I was sent here to inform you that your father is expecting you downstairs, at his study."

"Of course. I'll be down in a moment." I smiled kindly. "And just Eleanor is fine. After all, this is a private place."

The maid nodded, curtseyed again, and left the room in a hurry.

So much for some alone time with my horse. Fully aware of the fact that my father did not approve of tardiness, I quickly hurried down the swirling staircase, resisting the urge to slide on the rails, and knocked on his study door.

"Come in"

My father looked up from the papers he was reading. His russet hair was a shade similar to mines, only slightly a darker red, while mines leaned towards a shade of silvery copper. His grey eyes was kind, and the corners crinkled apron seeing me, matching the easygoing smile on his face.

"Yes?"I slunk in, closing the door behind me.

"This" As he ushered me to a armchair, his smile faded, and became troubled. He handed me a fancy letter of red parchment and gold letters, sealed by the royal crest. Why give something so important to me? I was confused, but when he beckoned for me to open it, I compiled, then became shock still as my eyes took in the message.

Dear Lord Ameryst,

As his royal highness, Prince Christopher is rapidly approaching his 21th birthday, a season will be held in the coming summer. As you are one of the eight main lords and ladies of the land, should you have any unwed daughter than falls in the age of eighteen to twenty, she will be required to attend the season, and compete with the other eleven debutantes for the prince's hand.

You are advised to prepare 10 ball gowns and day dresses respectively, as the palace seamstresses will not be attending to your daughter's needs until the day after the opening ball. Two palace maids will be assign to your daughter, and attend to her during the event. You'll also be instructed bring your daughter her own mount, as she could go on trail rides and hunts should she be invited. Pets are welcomed, two being the maximum amount, but they should always be locked in the suite unless accompanied.

We hope you find it in your heart to wish your daughter luck.

Best wishes

The palace ambassador

"Wha-wh-what?" I stuttered. Not bothering to wipe the unladylike shock from my face, I cried "I don't want to! As the fourth daughter, I should have been living my life, going horse riding and traveling, not going to that glided cage !"

My father sighed, a troubled sound and closed his eyes, shaking his head. "We can't refuse the king, my darli-"

"Then I'll just get engaged! I'm pretty sure a pauper won't refuse!"

Silence.

I cast my eyes down, mentally berating myself for running my mouth before thinking.

"I thought you were better than that!" My father exploded, standing up from his armchair. "Humans are not tools, Eleanor, they have feelings!"

I cowed back, regretting my words. "I'm sorry...."

My father sat back down, rubbing his temples. "Nora... I know you want to live your life by yourself, and the season won't allow that, as becoming a participant brings lifelong fame, but there isn't a way out of this." He reached out, hold my hands as my bottom lip trembled. "Please don't make this harder for me, I don't want to leave you too, but it's by the order of the king."

It made sense. Arabell, my oldest sister, has flown from the nest 5 years ago, marrying a duke with acres of land to his name. Regina and Racheala, two twins older than me by three years, left the mansion two years ago, traveling the country to follow their dancing career. I have lived with my father in our big, lonely house every since then, bonding closer through lessons since he made it clear that the title of lady would be passed on to me.

"Father..."

"We don't have a choice, Nora, we have to."

I sighed, resigning. "Fine, I'll go, as long as no one forces me to dance or socialise. Maybe the Queen will send me home when I make it clear that her son will not be interested in me to make room for other debutantes."

"Why not?"

I trudged up my room. My day has suddenly taken a turn for the worst.

Just realised this, but this book is not a fanfiction of the selection, it's my work, and my work alone. Nu-uh! No copying!