The Seventh Lover

Zeus's First Wife: Metis

Zeus's first wife was Metis, the wise Oceanid who'd advised him to give his father, Cronus, an emetic so he would vomit up Zeus's brothers and sisters. Most myths say that Metis was initially unwilling to succumb to Zeus. She tried to escape his advances by disguising herself, taking on different forms. In the end, Metis grew tired and gave in to Zeus. She became pregnant with a daughter who would become Athena. Metis did not give birth in the traditional sense, however. 

Metis, the personification of wisdom, was her husband's equal. Zeus felt a little intimidated by her — and more than a little intimidated by a prophecy that she would be the mother of extremely powerful children who might pose a threat to his power. Zeus dealt with this threat by swallowing Metis, thereby symbolically taking the quality of wisdom into himself.

Themis and Ordering the Universe

After Metis, Zeus married Themis, one of the original Titanesses and the goddess of necessity and eternal order. Themis worked closely with her husband, acting as his advisor. Together they had several children, including the Moirai (the Fates): Atropus, Clotho, and Lachesis; and the Horae (the Hours): Eunomia (Discipline), Dike (Justice), and Eirene (Peace). The birth of these children completed the order of the universe. Although this marriage also ended, its dissolution wasn't as extreme as Zeus's first divorce; he simply left Themis for another woman.

Eurynome: Mother of the Graces

When Zeus cast his eye upon Eurynome, daughter of Oceanus and Tethys, she was already married to the Titan Ophion. Not only was she married, she was also the sister of Zeus's first wife, Metis. But none of that stopped Zeus. He and Eurynome had three daughters, the Graces: Aglaia (Beauty), Euphrosyne (Joy), and Thalia (Festivity). The Graces brought charm and beauty into the world.

A Fellow Olympian: Demeter

Zeus also had a love affair with his sister Demeter, goddess of agriculture and the harvest. Not much is recorded about their relationship. The myths do record, however, that their union produced a daughter, Persephone. 

Mnemosyne: Mother of the Muses

Zeus's next conquest was Mnemosyne (Memory), a Titaness. Zeus and Mnemosyne made love for nine consecutive nights, leading Mnemosyne to give birth to the nine Muses: Calliope, Clio, Erato, Euterpe, Melpomene, Polyhymnia, Terpsichore, Thalia, and Urania. 

Leto, Mother of Olympians

Leto, daughter of the Titans Coeus and Phoebe, mated with Zeus and gave birth to the famed twins Apollo and Artemis, who later took their places among the great Olympian gods. 

Thy Lawfully Wedded Wife: Hera

After all of these love affairs, Zeus set his sights on his other sister Hera. Zeus believed that only this goddess could match him well enough in power to become his permanent wife. Zeus was so used to getting what he wanted that it never occurred to him that he might not be able to have Hera. But Hera, by nature highly jealous, knew about Zeus's past loves and wasn't too keen on his advances. So Zeus had to trick Hera into becoming his wife.

Zeus disguised himself as a cuckoo and created a great rainstorm. In the guise of the cuckoo, he took advantage of Hera's sympathy. Feeling sorry for the poor, drenched bird, Hera picked it up and folded it inside her clothes, clutching it to her body. Zeus transformed back into his own form and violated Hera. Dishonored and shamed, Hera agreed to become his wife.