Men Are All The Same

Start from the beginning

I try to get up, but with every inch that I move my fragile body feels like it's going to shatter. My arm doesn't hurt quite as much, but the jolts of pain still leave me breathless. I scan the room, trying to get up. Clothes are scattered about, and the dim lighting makes it hard to distinguish anything with my now average senses. Groaning, I stand to my feet.

Alex's voice, along with the man's, shout back and forth from outside the room. It's surprising that they would trust to leave me here alone, but then again, they know I'm just a weak mortal.

I scramble to the bed, keeping the tender arm close to me. The sound of glass shattering causes me to flinch, sending more pain through me. I squeeze my eyes shut, whimpering through grit teeth. It's the first time I've ever broken a bone. If I still had the wolf, it would be no problem. But now, there's no telling if it'll ever heal or if my arm will ever be of use again.

What do humans do with a broken limb? I think. Oh, they put it in a cast!

I glance around the room. There's no way I'm gonna find one of those here, but something has to be done about this break. A gasp escapes my lips as I take in the sight of my arm. It's swollen a significant amount, and is purple and green in color. The bone bulges under my skin, creating an unsightly bump. It doesn't help that it's my right one, which is my writing arm.

More sounds emerge from the door, shouting and stomping. They're heading over here. I sit on the bed, holding the fractured limb close to me protectively. There's nothing I can do, obviously. But they don't know that. Alex knows I'm different, he's seen it. He knows to some extent of our differences, I could milk them.  If I could just put on a front, say the right things, that might scare him into letting me go.

Alex stumbles into the room, looking flustered. He's holding something in his hands. Out of habit, I bare my teeth. The object appears to be a container of some sort. I peer at it through wary eyes, trying to make out its contents.

"It sure is gloomy in here, huh?" Dex chuckles as he turns to the switch, flicking on the bulb. I just glare at him.

He comes close to the bed and, despite my warning growls, sits next to me. His eyes widen as he catches sight of my arm and he curses under his breath.

"I'm so sorry about Ray. Really, I am. I wish he wouldn't have done that to you." His eyes sparkle with sadness.

Our gazes are locked for a moment, then I look down.

"I don't need your sympathy. So fuck off." I say, just above a whisper. "Listen Dex, you and I both know who's the superior. And if you don't let me go, you're gonna taste it." I hiss.

The air between us is tense, the only sound being that of our breathing.

"I don't believe you," He says, chuckling. "you would've done it already."

Ugh. That was always Alex, Mr. Know-It-All, moxy and smartass. There's probably no point in trying to fool him, he knows what he did to me. I don't.  The hollow shell that is me can't stand up to him anymore. Normally, I'd fight. I would never give in. But now, there seems to be no point in fighting anymore. I just want to be given me back what's mine. My eyes fill with tears once again and I take in a deep breath.

Alex must see this, he tries to comfort me. "So, uh, to answer your question from earlier--" He hesitates, looking down at the container. "I thought I was doing you a favor, but I can see now it's the curse that made you all but broken." He says.

My body is quivering as I take in his words. For a moment, it doesn't make the smallest bit of sense. The curse was all I had, and I have no idea where the wolf went or why it left me. Alex is talking like he's got the wolf in a jar.