The time travel

Narcariel was running as fast as she could towards the two other angels holding Miles captive, afraid she won't make it in time.

About 50 meters away, although it was quite dark so Narcariel wasn't sure, there was a shout, a bright light, and the sound of a body falling to the floor.

That's not possible

Someone had killed one of the angels and it couldn't have been Miles, he didn't even have the weapon to do it. Someone was saving him.

She took off again before there was another blast of light.

The stillness of the scene was unsettling, there were now four bodies lying on the ground and one of them was Miles.

She quickly ran up to him dreading the worst, she put her hand on him. Letting out a deep breath she collected herself and stood up, he was only unconscious.

But who did this?

One of the bodies were sat up against a tree, she could make out a female in a black coat and-

No

Narcariel stopped walking and stared at the dead figure, that looked identical to her.

How?

Angels could travel in time but not far and not for long, and there she stood looking at herself lying dead against a tree. The only differences she could make out is a little cut under her right eye and the black coat she's never seen before.

I die saving him...?

Narcariel was more then willing to die for Miles, but she didn't want her life to end, not this soon...

Trying her best to keep it together she inspected her body, there were wings burned out into the trees behind her. She took a step back, there was only one angle from which you could see the wings, from any another direction it was just random trees with random burns. She would've admired it more if it weren't her wings, proving the fact she was really dead. Dying. Going to die?

She inhaled sharply taking everything in. There was a note in her hand and she took it carefully and checked what's written on it. It was a short list of dates and places. She put the list in her pocket.

Miles. He just watched her other version die saving him. He likely is assuming she's dead right now.

I can't make him go through this again. The angels will use him as leverage against me again and again if I stay now.

She knew she didn't have much time against heaven. She also knew there was no point of staying with Miles or showing herself to him now because it would only make leaving harder for both of them.

Nancy considered the best course of action. She could wipe his memory of her, but that would be wrong.

He needed to think she was dead, but she couldn't bear the thought of him waking up next to her dead body. She called the police just giving them the location hoping they would deal with the body.

His room looked exactly the same as they had left it. Carefully, she put Miles down on his bed. She looked over at one of his walls which had posters and papers over it, and a picture of them smiling at the school dance caught her eye and she broke. Tears rolling down her face were a new feeling for her, she didn't even know she was capable of such emotions. Angels were supposed to be fierce warriors of heaven. This horrible feeling in her chest made her feel as if she was drowning on dry land. She buried her head in her arms as she sat against the wall of his room.

She wasn't sure how long she had been crying, she was mad and disappointed at herself for doing so. This feeling of numbness washed over her and she just stared at the wall for a while, unwilling to face the inevitable separation.

Wiping her eyes with her arm she stood up and looked around the room blankly.

She didn't know how much Miles would remember when he woke up, but hopefully he won't look for her. Hopefully seeing her other version's dead body earlier was enough to clarify she was dead. For the first time she used her powers on his mind, adding in a memory of an ambulance carrying him from the scene and clearing him to go home the same night so waking up in his room made sense. 

She was going to die soon and there was no point in mixing him into it. Her leaving now was his only chance to move on.

Taking out the paper hidden away in her pocket, she looked at the contents. It was a list with a few dates and places, labeled with "important times" at the bottom. The first date was about 3 months from now. She turned around to look at Miles, still unconscious but peaceful.

It was all happening so quickly. At least there was a clear mission to focus on, and her old angel instincts were taking control. She smiled through her tears, and the next second she was gone, fully aware she'd never return.