Third Prince Ju Long

It was a long agonizing wait, the minutes felt like hours as my heart continued to pound reckless to my chest. I'm scared, I'm scared for Julong without knowing the certainty of what's happening inside. I wished for his safety right now. He knew it'd be difficult to try and get to Hoon but he'll try anyway. Hoon is his son and knowing Julong, he's far too brave and far too reckless that he'd risk everything to get to him.

I remember Yuan's words to me that night, he told me the crown prince is protected by an edict allowing the guards all that necessary to protect him from everyone and that included me. I wouldn't doubt that included his real father.

It scared me because Julong was hardly recognizable as a former prince of this palace when I saw him. If he fooled me looking like one of the guards, chances are, the guards won't be able to tell he is their prince.

It also scared me that Yuan had declared him as a rebel even though I doubt he would harm his brother because no matter how Yuan talked and acted about his brother, there's always that softness and affection he couldn't hide when he spoke of him.

A loud bang resonated from far away that made all three of us jumped in alarm.

The horses whined and reeled backwards unnerved by the sudden noise while the two guardsmen exchanged glances with each other.

"Shit!" Said the man mounted on the horse with me.

The sound of shouting imperial guardsmen muffled by the loud howl of the frigid wind came next. We all knew Julong had been found out.

There was a moment of frantic panic when the captain and the other guard momentary debated whether to come for their prince's aid or stay with me. But it didn't take them more than a few seconds to decide.

The life of their prince was important to them as they decided to rush forward to aid Julong in his escape.

Then I heard him, the sound of his hastened footsteps burying in the snow and the sound of his labored breathing. A small dot emerged in the sea of powdered white snow. I saw him clear as crystal, Julong ran with a baby cradled protectively on his chest.

But something else caught my attention, the trail of vivid crimson trickling down and marking his path. Julong was wounded stealing his own child from someone else.

Julong gave all his energy trying to make it back to us.

Voices reverberated from the distance as they prepared to launch after the assailant. The crown prince was kidnapped and they must do everything to prevent the kidnapper from getting away.

But Julong was hardly the kidnapper, it was Yuan who took our child away.

Time stopped as my heart pounded and my spirit crashed. Something eerie bite the air as though death itself is there watching, lurking and waiting for things to unfold and claim his haul tonight.

A dangerous silence fell.

And then, the sea of arrows shot to the air swarming the sky. A rain of arrows cut violently through the wild breeze.

I looked up gasping aware of the inevitable.

The arrows loomed over Julong and Hoon threatening the lives of those who meant the world to me.

Everything played in slow motion as those arrows fell like a rain of terror chasing after them.

I dismounted from my mount and began to walk, nothing else seemed to matter as I tried to make it to Julong as fast as I can.

I ran towards them as the sea of arrows dropped. Three arrows struck Julong on his limbs, while two impaled on his back.

Julong fell on the ground and landed with Hoon protectively beneath him. The scream of our son cut like a knife in this malicious evening.

I can't see anything, my tears welled on my eyes drowning my vision. I fell to my knees as I ran up to them. Something struck my chest. The pain nagged at me preventing me from reaching faster.

I was so close, just a few more steps and I will be at his side, I will be able to touch him, comfort him and coax him as he laid on the ground bleeding.