Chapter 12

"Listen Riddle, I'm not robbing or killing anyone." Hermione pointed an accusatory finger at his chest.

"Oh, you won't have to. I simply want you to find those objects for me. That is your test. I will go into the shop personally, so I expect you to have those artifacts ready by the second week after graduation."

Hermione gulped. "It'll be done within the first week."

"Good." After a few seconds pause, he continued. "My, aren't you a weird girl. Saying that you don't to involve yourself with me one day and now you're begging to join me in my endeavors. How interesting..." Tom pondered, a faint mocking smile ghosting his lips.

Hermione continued sipping her butterbeer while trying to avoid his eyes. After finally lifting her head up, she saw Tom staring at her mouth, while Hermione flushed at the stare. After no more than a few seconds he simply said; "You've got a bit of butterbeer on your mouth." Without thinking he reached over and dragged his thumb over her lip. Hermione didn't think she could get any redder after watching him briefly lick his thumb. He merely lifted an eyebrow and smirked. "What?" He asked, the smirk still plastered on his face.

"Nothing." Hermione quickly whipped her head around, wanting to look at anything but him. "Now that that's settled, how about we actually do something, hm?" Riddle got up from his seat and offered her an arm with an expectant look on his face. Downing her butterbeer, Hermione stood up and linked her arm with Tom's. Without a word they exited The Three Broomsticks.

===

Hermione and Tom made their way through various stores, both knowing they could buy nothing and both knowing they would receive weird stares, but they didn't care.

They made it back to the Great Hall before they said their farewells. "See you at graduation Elora." Tom dismissed her before taking his seat at his end of the Slytherin table. During their little walk people gave them stares and jealous girls gave her harsh glares.

===

It was Hermione's final day at Hogwarts. Her graduation day. Hermione felt dozens and dozens of emotions, as she walked through the halls of the castle she knew so well. Even if this Hogwarts wasn't from her time, she still felt nostalgic as remembered the memories the corridors held. There were plenty of sad ones but they were overridden by waves of happy ones. Throughout the ceremony she could barely keep in the tears that threatened to fall. It was bittersweet.

Hermione and (to her displeasure) Tom were both given the Dux award for their equally outstanding grades. She said a teary goodbye to Druella and Lucretia who came to be her best friends, even though one of them would eventually give birth to the wicked witch who gave her the very scar on her left arm. She gave Tom and his followers a stiff nod as she saw them in their dark and gloomy green common room for the last time.

As she rode on the Hogwarts Express for the last time Hermione realized that she had nowhere to go. She didn't have any family to go back to, no Harry or Ron, just herself. She barely had any money, so there was no chance in her getting much of a place to stay at. Grimmauld Place was undoubtedly occupied by the Blacks and even though Lucretia was her friend, Kreacher would probably smell the 'mudblood' on her. So much for the Dux of Hogwarts, Hermione sighed. The Leaky Cauldron would have to do for now before she could find another job in addition to her Borgin & Burkes one.

===

After leaving the Hogwarts Express and Kings Cross Station, Hermione found herself on the Knight Bus on the way to the Leaky Cauldron. She would head out to find a job tomorrow before returning to Borgin & Burkes for the rest of the day. Hermione was walking up to her room, lost in her many thoughts, when suddenly a hard chest bumped into her, sending her nearly toppling to her feet. She was going to snap at the person to watch where they were going when she met the cold, yet smug eyes of Tom Riddle.

~

~

~

Disclaimer: I don't own the Harry Potter franchise.

Thank you so much for all the votes and for over 800 reads/views. I didn't expect this to be as successful as it is now. I also want to say thank you to those readers who have added this story to their reading lists. It means a lot to me. 

Life has been very hectic and stressful lately, so I'm very sorry I haven't updated in a couple of months. I hope to have another update up within another week or two. I mean it this time.

Thank you for reading, and constructive criticism is always welcome.