Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Austen walked on his horse down the old dirt road. His heart is acing and his throat is sore from holding in his tears.

He may be 19 years old but that didn't mean he was stupid. He knew he could die. He knew he would suffer in training and he knew that he was causing his family pain.

It mad him scared and sad. He had to do it for his father and his country but...

Was it ok if he didn't want to?

He didn't want to die.
He didn't want to be beat up in the hell hole they call training camp.
He didn't want to be away from his family.
But most of all. He didn't want to kill somebody.

He knew he had to. He had to learn how to fight so he could go out there and kill.
He was not a killer. Not at all.
Sure he hunted with his father a couple of times but that was it. Not murder.

He sighed. If this is his fate. Then let it be so.

Austen adjusted the bag around his shoulder. He packed all the necessary equipment he thought he would need and stuffed it into a bag. His jacket hung loosely over his shoulders and he had two jugs of water on the horse.

He entered the woods from his dirt road and listened to the birds among the trees.

There weren't much but the few that there were sang beautifully.

The clouds covered the sun and darkened the area a little. It seems that nature was trying to warn him of something.

But what ?

He looked around him but didn't see anything.
There's a tree.
Theres a bush.
There's a tree.
There's a saddled horse.
There's a ...

Wait...!  A horse ?

The next moment, someone jumped him from behind the bushes he passed.
He fell of his horse and the person held a knife to his throat.

He looked up but couldn't see the face of his attacker because he or she wore a hood. They were sitting on his chest, using their legs and other arm to hold his arms still.

"What do you want ? I don't have money and my horse is old."

"Now now Austen. Is that any way to speak of Princess ?" His attacker said in a mocking voice.

"My word, I thought you forgot. I honestly thought you would chicken out. "

"Me. Never. How do you know me ?"

"I should've known. Can you kindly get off of me ? Your fat body is squishing me ."

"FAT BODY. OH THAT IS IT !!" And then she started hitting him.

They struggled for a while. He grabbed her hands while she was distracted and threw her off of him. She rolled and stood up trying to kick him.
That didn't work out so well because he grabbed he foot and hoisted it up into the air.

"Now. Dear sweet Adelaide. Do you admit defeat ?"

"Like I said before. NEVER !! " she bended down and placed he hands on the ground. She then used her free foot to kick his face and lower stomach.

Austen immediately released her and she fell on her side as he fell on his butt.

"OOWW. My nose. I think you broke it !"

Her eyes widened. She didn't mean to hurt him that much.

Running to him she pulled his hands away to see his bloody nose.

Suddenly he grabbed her arm and turned her around. Holding her arm behind her.

"Never show weakness Addy. It would be your downfall. Im fine even though I do believe you broke it. But you cant show sympathy or kindness where we're going. " his voice was serious. He meant what he said.

Adelaide hung her head. She knew that but its so much harder than she thought it would be.

"I know but, your not the enemy."

"I could've been." He released her and she turned to face him," my gran ...  She had a man with her. He has been in the war for two years now. He told me when we got the news that you cant trust anyone. Not even your closest friend. Now I trust you. But that doesn't count for everybody. When we enter that camp tomorrow. You cant trust, you cant be n nice. You cant help others and you cant sing. You cant laugh because you sound like a woman. You cant believe everything people say. No matter who they are. Ok. !"

Adelaide had no expression on her face. She took a deep breath and let it out. He eyes were closed like she was composing herself.

Then ...

She opened it.

In her eyes shone determination. There shone passion and there shone strength.  

And in that moment. They both knew. She would be alright.

              ****************

"What did you bring ?" Adelaide asked Austen.

"Well, my mom baked my favorite cookies. And packed me a sandwich. Or two. Or three. Ok three sandwiches. A bunch of apples. A banana. A piece of dried meat. Ok two. Aaaaannd... A, what is this ?" He asked her as he held up an old piece of cheese.

"Uh. That my friend is a rotten piece of what was once cows-milk that was worked up to the part of a solid and then placed in the sun for to long and now it was found in your bag. "She said as she searched he own bag for food.

When he didn't say anything she looked at him.

"What ?" He said.
"What ?!" She replied.

"You know. I don't think we're going to be eating that. It makes you weird. "

She gasped and placed a hand on her heart. She faked being hurt and he just laughed at her.

"Its cheese you dummy !"

They shared bits of their food and kept the rest for the road tomorrow.

Then they opened their blankets and settled near the fire.

"Austen ?"
"Hmmm ?"
"Will you help me learn how to fight ?"

He sighed and turned on his side.
"Sure. Better me than you alone ."
"Thanks. "

"Austen ?"
"Hmmmmmm ?!" He sounded like a dying wale.
Adelaide smiled.
"Will you help me keep ... Well ... Me being a girl a secret ?"

He sighed deeper.
"Yeah. Sure. "

"Austen ?"

This time it sounded like he was dying by the sound he made. It caused her to laugh.

"Thanks. "

He turned his head to look at her. He smiled at her and turned back to sleep the rest of the night.

Adelaide smiled to herself as she gazed up at the moon.

On more night ...

****aawww Austen is such a great friend !!!***

(Ps. They are not in love or together. They are simply good friends ... )
Please comment

Thanx X)