Chapter One.

A/N: Welcome to If I'm Lucky!

Technically, welcome to If I'm Lucky, version 3.0. Eleven chapters in on the second take, I decided I wasn't happy with the story, and how I'd written it, so I'm going to go back and rewrite, and change what I'm unhappy with, hopefully making for a better story.

Thanks to Denise89  for the beautiful cover as usual, and to her and Emily for brainstorming with me, and letting me annoy them with my ideas.

I own nothing besides Auden's storyline, obviously, because I am neither Jeff Davis, nor MTV.

-----

Auden had been taking advantage of the fact that Melissa was at work, playing her music louder than she usually got away with when her mom was home. Scott never seemed to mind the music, as they had similar tastes, and the noise from his video games were usually louder anyways. She'd been able to hear music through the walls earlier in the night, but it had since faded out.

The last notes of Jesus of Suburbia were streaming through her speakers as a crash came through Auden's open window. It barely fazed her, knowing it was probably one of the seemingly endless cats Mrs. Willis next door owned. They had a habit of escaping in the night and knocking over the dead potted plants on her front porch.

There was another noise, louder than the first, but just as Auden stood up to investigate, she heard Stiles yelling about a bat, and Scott talking about a predator, neither of which made sense to her. Rolling her eyes, she settled back into her chair, propping her legs against the edge of the desk, careful not to knock over the stack of books piled haphazardly across it.

If her brother was anyone other than Scott, and their best friend anyone besides Stiles, Auden might have been worried, but the two of them were always getting into trouble, and she tried her best not to get involved in every one of their adventures. Stiles' dad being the sheriff had never seemed to deter their deviant behavior, instead fueling it, knowing it'd end up keeping them out of trouble in the end. Knowing their history, and the fact that one of Stiles' favorite pastimes was listening to a 'borrowed' police scanner, the boys were probably on their way to watch Sheriff Stilinski bust a small time robbery, or pay another visit to Mrs. Clarke, a senile old lady who lived on the edge of town and swore someone was trying to kill her every other day.

Auden had gotten through a sizable chunk of the book she was reading when she heard the creak of the front door echoing through the house. Looking at the clock, Auden realized it was too early for her mom's shift to be over, and hoped it was Scott, and not some deranged killer coming for her.

Her fears were put to rest at the sound of three soft taps against her closed bedroom door, her and Scott's sign to the other, one that had originated around the time their parents had started fighting. A few minutes later, Auden heard Scott banging around in his bathroom. Dog earring the page, Auden threw the book on her bed and padded down the hall towards her twin's bedroom. Scott's door was open, light pouring into his darkened room, and she could see him standing in front of the mirror, looking at something on his side.

"You okay?" Scott jumped when Auden spoke, dropping the side of his shirt. His reflection glared at her for a second before he turned, leaning back against the sink as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"Uh, yeah. Yeah, I'm good. I just fell over something, scraped my side. Nothing some peroxide and a band-aid won't fix."

"Do you need any help with it?" Before he could answer, Auden reached for the hem of his shirt, trying to see what he'd done to himself, but he jumped back, bumping into the counter.