[Chapter 5] Magnificent

"That was fun, wasn't it?"

"Yeah, until you almost got us killed," I said as I nudged the Doctor's shoulder.

"It's not my fault the King didn't like my humor," the Doctor pathetically said trying to make an excuse.

"You made fun of him!"

"I was just joking!" The Doctor said defensively.

"He didn't know that." The Doctor simply scoffed at my remark and crossed his arms. He gave me a death stare for a moment before we both burst out into laughter.

Once our laughter died down, the Doctor just stared at me for a little while with a small smile.

"Can I help you?" I asked him, tilting my head to the side as I walked closer to him as he gazed at me while leaning against the console.

"Oh, I was just wondering," he paused, "would you like to travel with me?"

I gave him a nod and a big smile, this was all he needed to jump up and hug me. I rested my head on his shoulder as our hug lasted a little longer than it should have. I just felt safe and protected around him; like nothing was ever going to be wrong as long as I was with him. As he let go of his grasp on me he turned around back towards the console.

"I know the perfect place to go, you're gonna love it! There's cat people there!"

"Why?" I asked him suddenly. It just came out, I didn't mean to say it.

"Why what?" He pretended to not know what I was talking about. He did though, he absolutely did know.

"Why can't we go to your planet?" The Doctor let go of the lever he was holding on to and turned to face me. He had a faint frown on his face. I could tell he was trying to hide it, but he wasn't doing very well.

"You really want to know?"

"I do."

"I'll answer your question if you answer mine."

"Deal, you first though." He simply nodded at me and let out a small sigh before starting.

"I'm from Gallifrey, the planet of the Timelords. There was a great war, the Last Great Time War. It was the Timelords against the Daleks, fighting for the sake of all creation. And they lost. We lost. Everyone lost," he said, not even looking at me. His head was low and he stared at the floor. I took a few steps towards him and laid a hand on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," I mumbled to him. As I stated before, I wasn't good at comforting people, so this was my lousy attempt at trying. He placed his hand on top of mine for a moment or two before he dragged my hand off of his arm.

"Hey, you don't need to be sorry," he whispered to me. I nodded and we were left in a moment of silence before he spoke again.

"And now for you, the night I met you, you wished for something, what was it?"

Of course he was going to ask about that. I knew he would, but I really hoped he wouldn't. I didn't want to sound desperate. I let out a small sigh before telling him.

"To not die," I mumbled to him.

"People wish for that all the time, but yours mattered, yours was strong enough to reach me. And why is that?"

"I don't know."

"But you do!"

"I really don't Doctor," I lied.

"Oh don't lie to me Estelle, you know exactly why. You weren't wishing out of the blue, you were wishing because you truly believed something was going to happ-"

"I'm dying!" I yelled at him, cutting him off mid-sentence. My lips corned turned down into a frown and I closed my eyes and took a deep breath and whispered, "I'm dying."

"What?" The Doctor frowned heavily at me.

"I have cancer," I whispered. He pulled me into a hug and held me tightly. My arms dangled to my side before I hugged him back. I could feel tears swelling up in my eyes as I thought about my current condition. The Doctor pulled away from the hug and grasped my face, and used his thumb to wipe away the few tears that streamed down my face.

"Oh Estelle. My sweet, sweet Estelle," he spoke softly, in a voice that comforted me more than any words could, "You're gonna be fine. No- not fine, you're gonna be amazing, and I will not let anything happen to you." He pulled me into a hug once more and held me tightly, using one hand to run through my short red hair and the other to hold me close to him.

"I really don't want to die, not yet," I whispered into his ear, my voice was a bit wobbly. I tried to control it, I never did like crying in front of people, but I couldn't help it this time.

"I won't let you." We continued to hug for a little while. It was nice, really nice. We finally let go of the hug and he put a hand on my face, and another stroking my hair.

"So how about the place with cat people?" I asked him.

"Not right now, you should sleep. We can see the cat people another time, but for now, go to bed," he said with a small smile as he placed a strand of hair that cover my face behind my ear.

"Where's my bedroom?"

"Just walk down the hall, and whichever door feels right will be your room."

I simply nodded in reply and turned to walk away. I turned my head back to him and smiled at him, and nodded as if to say 'thank you.' He smiled back. I continued to walk away. Once I was out of sight I heard him say something I wasn't suppose to hear,

"Estelle, I am going to find you a cure."

His hope brought a smile to my face. He was so determined, and the fact that he cared meant so much more to me than he could ever imagine. I didn't have many friends, but that was mostly because I had shut everyone out. I just wanted to be alone, but he's lured me out of my shell and I am so glad he did.

I skipped down the hall as I tried to find my door. As I passed a door I felt something pulling me towards it, so I opened it to find a wonderful room. It was like a room for a princess, a room that I thought I could only dream of having. Yet here it was, in front of me.

The bed's frame was white with decorative circles in gold leaf, the canopy above the bed shared the same color scheme. It was white satin lined with gold. I wasn't very tired originally, but looking at this beautiful bedroom just made me want to wrap myself in the bed and snooze; so I did.

In the middle of the night I was awoken by my door opening(I was always a light sleeper,) it was the Doctor. He was trying to be quiet, but he didn't do a very good job at it. I pretended to be asleep since I didn't want him to feel bad for waking me up. I could hear him trip over my shoes as he walked towards the bed.

"Oops!" He mumbled. I tried my hardest to contain my laughter as he fidgeted.

I could feel him sit at the edge of my bed since the mattress sunk. His hands, which were much bigger than mine, held onto my hands. His hands were warm and soft, the kind of hands that you wouldn't mind holding forever.

"Oh Estelle, don't you worry about a thing. I won't let anything happen to you, okay? I'm gonna help you fight this, and I will find you a cure. You're gonna grow up to do amazing things, because you will live, and you can keep my word on it. And we're gonna travel, me and you, across the galaxy to places you've never imagined because you will live," he whispered to me. "You're gonna be magnificent," he kissed my forehead before getting up and walking out of my room.

"Goodnight Estelle."