chapter 1

I went out to the coffee shop with her and my little doggo, Peaches. I don't know why, but in these showers, going to a warm coffee shop, smelling those delightful things in the air and just looking at the rain seemed really pleasing.

Oh, and I also had a story to tell.

"So...the coffee shop as usual?" she asked, as she grabbed her umbrella tight, hoping it won't flip upside down or fly away from her. "You should have just worn a raincoat, you know," I chuckled as I saw her still struggling with her umbrella till she just shut it, and dragged it along with her.

"Oh, you silly woman. Don't you have a raincoat?" This was way to funny for me to see - a few seconds ago, she was wrestling with her umbrella but now she was walking in the rain, makeup washing off her face.

"Nope," she grinned and kept walking.

We kept walking in silence for a few more minutes before we saw the coffee shop ahead of us. From far away, these places have always looked like heaven to me.

As we stepped inside, I took off my raincoat, and turned back only to see her standing out in the rain, looking at herself with disgust.

"It's not my fault you wanted a stupid umbrella."

"Whatever," she started walking away from the door.

"Hey, where are you going?" I yelled, ignoring the looks of the people inside. "Just at a friend's house. I'll be back soon!"

"Okay, okay," I stepped back in and walked straight to the counter.

"Just an almond latte, and a vanilla frap please," I slid in  2 hundred rupee notes. "That's all I got." The girl working there smiled and took the money, and dug through a box filled with loose change.

"Here you go sir," she dropped some ten rupee notes into my hand and then went to the back of the room to get my order.

Once I made my way back to the table, I saw her come back into the cafe, with a raincoat. Okay, she's actually a bit too interesting.

Too interesting.

So I told her to sit and wait for the drinks to come and then I told her, "I have something to tell."

"What is it?" she asked as she scrolled through her phone screen looking at something and smiling.

"What are you seeing?" I quickly snatched the phone from her and then saw what was on the screen.

"Oh." Just some texts from her friend. "But please, no texting. I need to tell you something nice."

"Okay then.." she kept her phone in her purse and looked at me, demanding a good story for which she had to abandon her phone.

"Yeah so I guess I'll tell you about this person, this one guy...I thought you'd like to know about him."

"Okay, shoot!"

And I began...

So there was this...little boy, he lived nearby my house...he's really sweet you know, so I thought..okay I'll actually begin now.

He's such a tiny kid. Was the second child in a family of four kids.

He used to tell me about those days when he went to school and out to play.

You see, the schools we know about now is obviously different from like, two decades ago. Back at his school, you could see peacocks going in and out of the campus! It was absolutely hilarious, the way he pictured it - I almost died laughing! Anyways, I should continue..

He was really thin if you did't know that. So he would slip through the little gaps between the railings of the school window and run away just to see the peacocks and get their feathers! I wish my school didn't mind me slipping out from class to see peacocks, but our classrooms were all in second floor.

He used to also do some really silly, stupid things... Like go on top of the terrace and fly kites, even though he knew he would get his fingers cut. He never seemed to mind. When he told me everything, he would laugh his head off and say that he didn't mind.

He would keep playing, he kept throwing his pains away, because he felt happy and he knew it.

He would run, and run, because he was a happy child, even though his family wasn't well off. He knew he had the time of his life, and that was it.