Chapter 23- I Can't Believe It

Start from the beginning

I sat up in the chair when I heard someone coming through the door. I watched as August and Mel walked into the room. To the average person, they would appear to be completely fine. They had hard exteriors and were good at masking their emotions, but I had been around them long enough to see straight  through the act. Something is wrong and I know it's about Denzel.

"Is he okay?" Kiara asked. The worry was evident in her voice. I wasn't sure I was ready for the answer. I don't know how much bad news I can take at once. They both remained silent for a few moments.

"They said somethin' 'bout it being too little, too late. What kinda bullshit is that? That doctor made it seem like he would be okay after this transfusion. They got a nigga hopes up, and Denzel died," Mel stated, finally breaking the silence.

I did all of this for nothing. I  tried to save Denzel, and I ended up loosing both of them. This makes me feel even worse about my decision. There was probably never any hope for Denzel, but I couldve at least saved Kimberly. If I hadnt decided to do the transfusion, my little sister would still be here. Kiara broke down when she heard the news. She was crying uncontrollably in the same spot she had been standing in previously. I didn't even try to stop the tears from rolling down my cheeks as I held my head in my hands. I let them fall because I knew there was no stopping them. Two of the most important people in my life had died, and in all honesty, I don't know how I'm going to move on from this. I don't take death lightly, this isn't something I can just get over.

"What's wrong with her?" August asked referring to Kimberly. He was shaking her the same way I was earlier. I couldn't even answer him. I just couldn't bring myself to say that she was dead. I began to cry even harder at the thought of having to go through life without her. Its obvious that August is in denial. He keeps shaking her and calling her name like he's expecting her to wake up at any moment.

"Damn, I cant believe this shit is really happenin'," August mumbled, finally accepting the truth. We all stayed frozen in our spots, somewhat lost in our own thoughts. The room was silent, partly due to the fact that we were all taking time to process what was happening.

All of a sudden August stormed out the room, slamming the door behind him. I had no clue where he was going. I don't know wether I should follow after him or give him his space. Everybody deals with death differently. Its going to take time for us to even come close to acting like ourselves again. One thing I'm certain of is that things will never go back ro the way they were before Denzel was shot. Life will never be the same for any of us.

******************

I woke up from this terrible nightmare when I felt something cold and wet hit my arm. I don't even remember falling asleep. I opened my eyes and scanned the room trying to remember where I was. Kiara and Mel were sleep on the small couch in the corner and August was sleep in a chair with his feet propped up on the edge of the bed. When my eyes landed on the hospital bed, I saw Denzel and Kimberly with their hands raised about to throw pieces of crushed ice in my direction. Kimberly dropped her ice and looked at me with a mischievous grin when she realized that I was watching her. Denzel, on the other hand, continued to throw more ice at me. He threw more pieces at me even after he saw me looking at him, which earned a giggle from Kimberly. 

I didn't even care at this point. I'm just happy that he's alive. This is the first time he's woken up since the transfusion. The doctor told us everything went well and that he should make a full recovery. I was more than relieved to hear that news. In Kimberly's case, the doctor was a astonished by how well she took it. She never cried,  and she managed to stay awake during the entire process. The medical staff say it was a miracle that both of them made it out ok, but I know that my brother was looking down on us and ensuring that Kimberly survived this transfusion.