Chapter Two

Schuyler braced the weather as it danced around him. He let the rain splash in his face and through his golden white blonde hair. It was storming. One of the worst storms this week. Lightning corroded the ground and thunder shook the night sky. The rain washed away all the warmth and happiness of the sun. Inside the dorm behind Schuyler, he knew there were a lot of students melted into blankets by a fire and friends, fearful of the lightning and the terror it held at night. Schuyler had never been afraid of storms. He loved the thrill of the night and the rain. He loved the fact that in any given second the sedating delight of the storm could take his life and it would all be over. He had a connection to the rain though. It rushed power through his veins and reminded him that nothing and no one could lay a hand on him as long as Poseidon was on his side. He exhaled as the wind dropped. Schuyler threw his head back and laughed jubilantly into the night, shaking the water off of his face. He got back underneath the arch of the drawing room to shield himself from the storm. He loved that balcony, and even though Schuyler preferred the rain, he loved to sit in the drawing room when the sun fluttered through too.

"You'll catch a cold like that." Paisley told Schuyler in a motherly tone as he shut the door to the balcony. He laughed and crossed the room to his sister still feeling exultant from the weather. After their father had been killed four months ago, she had become the center of his world. He had promised his mother before she passed away years prior to their father that he would always look out for his family. He failed once with dad. He wouldn't fail with his mother's beloved daughter.

Paisley had long honey-red hair that fell past her shoulders. She usually kept it pulled back in some fashion because she couldn't see to mess with it. She had been born blind. Her pale blue eyes were unable to see her surroundings, but she was not penalized because of it. She had learned to hear and feel and trust her way through her surroundings. Their mother had usually fixed Paisley's hair and helped her with day-to-day activities. Paisley had not liked being treated like she was helpless, but she loved and respected their mother enough to keep quiet. It took a lot of her pride to ask Schuyler for help, and in truth most of the time she didn't need it. Paisley wasn't that tall. Schuyler was breeching six feet, and she was a good bit shorter than him. When he hugged her he could still place his chin on top of her head. Paisley had the prettiest smile that Schuyler had ever seen. It lit up her face and everything around her. She just always seemed genuinely happy when she smiled and most of the time her smile was infectious. Being blind had not affected her at all; it made her who she was.

"I don't think I'm going to catch a cold, sis." Schuyler shook the rest of the water droplets out of his face, but his hair bounced back and clung to his cheekbones like glue. He scanned the room. Schuyler still felt uneasy living in the school after his parents had passed. The headmaster had given them their own section of the school that Paisley and Schuyler would stay in year round.

Schuyler acknowledged the grand piano resting in the corner of the room, shadows of raindrops dancing in and out of the reflecting light. He hadn't spent much time at the piano since his dad had passed on. His dad had been his inspiration and had taught him everything he knew about the instrument. He crossed the room and traced his fingers across the keys, blocking the remainder of moonlight. He tested the sound of the notes. The hum of the notes was a little dusty, but Schuyler knew he could get it back into tune in no time. He dropped the lid. A small hand touched his shoulder. He heard Paisley suck in a breath preparing  to say something. Schuyler's stomach growled angrily. She chuckled softly.

"Come on, let's eat something. Although you think you'd be full on rain water."

"Oh yeah?" Schuyler said playfully ruffling Paisley's hair and gently grabbing her hand. He pulled her through the drawing room like a little child being led by a parent. He cautiously helped her down the step from the connected living room and kitchen and set her at the table. He opened the refrigerator and stared in.