The Party

Parties are supposed to be fun, y'know?

But for some reason, the word "party" now has a negative connotation to me.

Yet I hear you use that word and similar ones rather frequently.

I suppose that I just like reminding myself.

Care to elaborate?

I will If you stop interrupting me.

My apologies, please continue.

I will. It started off as a pretty average day. But one thing made this day just a little bit different. This day was supposed to be the first time I was performing onstage without the others accompanying me.

Bad decision really, knowing she would be there. And I- she wouldn't listen.

He had put me in a room by myself knowing that. Sometimes I think that he wanted it to happen. 

The room was pretty small. A few tables and empty chairs placed haphazardly around. Balloons, confetti, and streamers littering it throughout. Music always coming from somewhere else, it had the distinct tinkling of a music box so it was Ballora, I'm sure.

I performed the same pre-recorded songs on loop, over and over. I used to enjoy them, but now I find the repetitive nature and sickening positive vibe of them rather annoying.

Children ran in and out of the room. I used to count them as they came in and out.

Any particular reason why?

Not sure, honestly. Perhaps it was out of boredom. Or perhaps there's another underlying reason that even I'm unsure of.

They usually came in groups of two or three.

Two, then three, then two, then three, then four, then two, then none.

None stayed for more than five seconds

There were four, then three, then two, then one.

Something bad happened when there was one.

I -, she came in alone. She wasn't afraid of me like the others were.

But she -, I should've been.

Maybe it would've been fine if she didn't come any closer.

I stopped singing, and my stomach opened, and I was no longer myself.

You could not control your own body?

In that moment, no. In that moment my core programming took over, and I did what I was designed to do.

You killed her.

Yes, I did.