"What you going to do?" one of the fire fae taunted the girl. He flared the flames of his hair, the tips brushing the roof of the subway car. A magical ward prevented his power from actually burning a hole through the metal. 

"Just leave me alone!" she shouted back. She slammed her book down and stood up. As her anger rose, her color changed. Her pale skin started to ripple and turn dark blue. Crystal-like wings sprouted from her back. She flapped them rapidly, sending wind and water at the three fire fae. They backed off, but only slightly. "I already told Jackson I wasn't going to the prom with him! I don't need you three assholes to bully me into it!"

I dropped my head back and groaned out loud. Oh. My. God. It was a teenage spat that they couldn't solve without their powers. Of course it had to happen while I was there.

Fae are powerhouses, and young fae are reckless with that power. Untrained, the water fae alone could take out the whole subway. It was why fae went to their own school so they didn't accidentally make a werewolf explode or burst a vampire into flames.

True stories.

Seriously, it was a wonder the council of fae even allowed these young morons to go out without leashes. It was up to the elder fae population to keep them under control, and being the only "elder" in the room, ie, not riddled with pimples and acne, that responsibility fell to me.

I shoved my phone in my pocket and rose. My black boots squeaked when I took a step forward, and I realized the water fae was already starting to leak water across the floor.

Fan-freaking-tastic.

One hot head reached out to grab the girl as I approached. "Come on, you can't say no to him. Y-"

"Ah-hem." I cleared my throat.

In one smooth motion, Things 1, 2, and 3 turned to face me. Their flames faded a moment as they took me in. A second later, they smirked, and I distinctly got the, "fresh prey" vibe from them.

I probably should note I'm not all that intimidating.

Height wise, I look like I'm in high school, my boobs are nothing to brag about, my neon curly purple and blue hair makes me look younger than I am (though, man, is it sexy next to my black skin), and the pink shirt probably wasn't helping. Hell, the only reason I could look one of the moron's in the eyes was because my boots had a 1-inch heel on them.

Get it? Not intimidating at all. Even my blue eyes look more doll-like than adult. I hate it, especially when I go to the bars. The types of guys who hit on you...gross.

But I digress.

Thing 1 leaned forward, towering over me, and smiled. "Hey baby, what's your sign?"

Oh, god...seriously? This was the cheesy shit I was going to have to put up with? "Exit," I said with an exasperated sigh. "Look, you're freaking out the humans, and she obviously doesn't want you three screwing with her. How about you sit down and let the rest of the folks enjoy a quiet ride?"

By now, Things 2 and 3 had started to circle around me, penning me in. The water fae wisely backed off. Maybe it was the glint in my eye, or the slight warning vibe I sent off that clued her in. Apparently the trio didn't get the memo.

Thing 2 draped his arm around my shoulders while Thing 1 got so close I could smell his Cheetos breath.

"Don't be like that," he said and hooked his finger beneath my chin. "Let's have a little fun."

Did I mention the little powerhouses could also be egotistical assholes?

No? Well now you know.