4.1 | s e v e n .

Start from the beginning

What in the everliving fuck was going on?

"Buddy, next time, you should lower the volume."

Dean's voice cut Makayla out of her thoughts.  Her brother turned to look at her only to find big, fearful eyes staring back at him.  His cheeky smirk faded.

"That was my mistake.  Certain people-special people, can perceive my true visage.  I assumed you would be one of them... like your sister.  However, I was wrong."

"Wait, wait- what did you just say?"

Makayla blinked twice, her voice loud and accusatory.  It even startled Dean.

The angel furrowed his brows.

"I stated that Dean is not-"

"No, what did you just say about me?"

At this, Castiel's lips twitched, as if contemplating his response.

"I figured the implications of my statement would be enough for you to put all the pieces in order, but once again, you have proved me to be wrong."

"Stop being so cryptic, asshat, and tell us what the hell is going on."

Dean's protectiveness caused a verbal explosion towards the angel, who looked taken aback, to say the least.  He swallowed.

"Makayla is a rare breed of human that heaven likes to refer to as Solpetha."

"A soul-what, now?"

"Solpetha."

Makayla repeated instinctually, her face set into a look of contemplation.

Castiel offered a small smile at this.

"Yes.  It is an Enochian term, the language of angels, and a rough English translation means 'to hearken unto' or 'to listen'."

"So- so what does that mean?"

Makayla pressed, her patience growing thin.  Her heart was beating impossibly fast, and she could sense the tension radiating from her brother.

The angel's blue eyes were emotionless, but the girl could see a sort of understanding glowing underneath his gaze.

"It means that you have a small amount of grace in your system- it allows you to hear the angels.  You can perceive their true voices, and, perhaps in time, learn to view their purest forms."

A breathy, confused laugh escaped her mouth, as her eyes studied the man in front of her.

"No, that's- that's not... I'm not- I'm just me."

"Perhaps.  But God chose you at your birth to carry this blessing.  It is a gift, Makayla.  You happen to be the only one of your kind left, which is why you are so deeply vital to the preservation of humankind.  You are a direct link from Heaven to Earth, and the only one we have."

"But I- I don't understand."

"It's okay, Mak."

Dean glanced back at her, and she realized that she had slowly made her way closer to him, now staggered slightly behind him.

"No, Dean, this isn't okay, I don't... I don't believe you."

Castiel's face showed genuine hurt.

"With all we have been through together, Makayla, I think I deserve an ounce of your trust at the very least."

Her head was spinning, her stomach flipping in knots and her hands began to tremble.

I can sense your anxiety.

His voice echoed in her head was again, causing her to throw a hand up to her hair.

You have nothing to fear.

"Stop doing that!"

She yelped, causing Dean to flinch.

"Why can you do that?  How are you in my head?  Can all angels do that to me?"

"No."

The angel spoke simply.  Makayla could sense a hint of hesitation in his own head.

Tell me the truth.

Makayla pushed her thoughts at him the same way he did to her, and much to her surprise, Castiel's eyes widened.  It looked as though he had heard her mentally speak to him.

He fidgeted nervously, and his sudden panic was shocking; he seemed to be at ease the majority of the time.

"You will learn all of this soon, Makayla.  You and I will be having a conversation in the near future.  But for now, this is about Dean."

She wished to protest, to tell him that she had waited long enough, but the angel was right- he'd done enough for her that he had at least earned that much.

And it didn't help that she could tell he was begging- pleading- for her to give him time.

She side-glanced at Dean, who was obviously not particularly fond about the suggestion of a subject change, but for some inexplicable reason, Makayla trusted this fucking angel.

"What about Dean?"

She asked, and she swore that Castiel's expression resembled something of gratitude.

"Why would an angel rescue me from Hell?"

Her brother added, his green eyes glittering.  He was just as confused as she was.  This offered reassurance.

"Good things do happen, Dean.  It seems both of you struggle to believe that."

"Not in our experience, they don't."

Makayla wished she could protest and defend herself.  She wished she could tell the angel that they were fine, that she was fine, that his blessing wasn't out of the ordinary.

But it was.  Oh, God, the sheer idea of some light coming out of all the darkness made her heart swell.

But she was getting her hopes up.  She knew that.

Besides, Winchesters didn't get happy endings.

Castiel's worried eyes swapped from Dean to Makiah.

"What's the matter?"

He stepped closer to Dean, his gaze scanning his features.

"You don't think you deserve to be saved?"

The angel's next statement was a soft mumble, and the words broke Makayla's heart.  She looked up to her brother only to find his face stoic, perfectly emotionless- just like the soldier their father raised him to be.

"Why'd you do it?"

Blue eyes met the piercing green of the girl, before landing back onto her brother.

"Because God commanded it.  Because we have work for the two of you."