Misty Kicks it like it's 1986

Start from the beginning

Misty took a moment to look at Ash's hat, then at Togepi.  "If it wasn't for Ash," she said softly, "I wouldn't have met you, Togepi.  If I... If I had been stupid enough to stay with Rudy, I wouldn't be around to..." her eyes widened as it hit her.  Just yesterday morning she had woken up feeling regret over how she had chosen to follow Ash around as opposed to potentially starting a new relationship with Rudy by choosing to stay on Trovita Island.

Misty's eyes watered up as she realized how stupid that decision could've been, Ash, her best friend, was brash, reckless, lacked self-preservation skills, and was a real jerk to her sometimes.  But all the same, she realized that she balanced all of that out.  Sure, she herself could be mean, violent, hot headed... but she cared about him, loved him.  All she wanted was for him to be safe.

She could remember all the times since meeting him where she had to rush in to grab him to save him from all sorts of terrible fates, Beedrills, drowning, giant Gengars... and he often saved her from those situations himself, she knew she didn't say it enough, but she was always grateful that he was there for her.

"...T-to always be there for him...to... keep him safe," she finished, after her epiphany struck her, and it struck her hard, she knew what she had to do.  She wiped her eyes quickly.  "Team Rocket," she growled, "you lay one finger on Ash, and I'll hurt you so bad so help me!"

OoOoO

"Ooo ahh!" James cried out, frightened.

"Waz up, Jimbo?" Meowth asked, creeped out by James' sudden yelp.

James took a moment to rest his hands on the bin he was sorting through before replying, "I think someone was just talking about us..."

"Are yous really dat superstitious?"

"Yes..."

Meowth sighed and was about to retort when Jessie's voice screamed out irritably.  "Dat's not a good sign," he muttered.  James nodded in frightened agreement.

"James!  Meowth!  Get over here!" she thundered.

Both males looked at each other nervously, they were a few yards away from the ship at a small clearing near where they had landed.  They had been working on some bins, whilst Jessie worked near the mouth of their transport.

"Wha's wrong, Jess?" Meowth began after they made their way over.

"Twerp over there is being a thorough pain!" Jessie snapped, pointing angrily in the ship's direction.  It was then they heard a clanging noise.  It was Ash, busily swiping his hands across the steel bars, Pikachu and Squirtle too were making a racket pawing away at their little prisons.

"Hey!" Ash shouted.  "Do you hear me?  You won't get away with this at all!  I'll stop you good and proper!"

"SHUT IT YOU ANNOYING BRAT!" Jessie yelled back, hopping into the ship to glare at Ash.  He glared back and growled.

"I," Jessie began evenly, but the scowl on her face remained, "have had it with your obnoxious complaining little one.  Meowth!  James!  Take him outside and string him up – and do the same with Pikachu and Squirtle."

The two villains looked at each other before sighing, and began to carry out Jessie's order.

"Hey!  What're you two doing?" Ash grunted he was suddenly taken out of the cage and strung up, his attempt at escaping being thwarted by James' strength as he was held in place a few feet up the tree.

"Nothin' personal twerp, just carryin' out our orders," Meowth grunted.

"I don't know Meowth," James said after they finished tying Ash against the tree.  "Tying the twerp up like that feels... wrong."