Chapter Three: Captain Cold

Start from the beginning

"That was all up to chance," Two-Face said. "Now, we are all meeting at the courthouse entrance at one-thirty pm tomorrow. Everyone will remember me after this," he vowed. "I will see you all then. Make sure to be heavily he armed," he added with an eerie smile.

A few suspicious glances were thrown Catwoman's way before the men all left, leaving Catwoman and Two-Face alone in the warehouse.

"I'll see you tomorrow," Two-Face said, giving her an odd look. It was as if he was trying to gain something just by staring at her. Did he really think she wouldn't come? To be fair, she knew she hadn't helped him out a lot, but she couldn't leave him with any last-minute doubt.

"No need to worry," Catwoman convinced. "I'll be there. I couldn't miss out on your big day."

"No, I suppose you couldn't," he replied uncannily.

<O>

Zod stood facing out the window, staring at the wide expanse of space. His colossal cruiser lurked just behind the moon, barely peeking around the edge of it. He had a beautiful view of the white-blue planet of Earth. It was not even close to being a formidable foe. He could easily take it.

The sound of the door opening interrupted his world-dominating thoughts. He turned to see who had walked in. One of his advisors looked around the room before her eyes settled on him.

"Sir," she addressed with a respectful salute.

"Yes," he replied, gliding over to her with long, powerful strides. "What is it?"

"All of the scout reports have come in along with a complete analysis of the planet and the energy readings."

"Well?"

"Computer," the advisor said. "Project the readings."

A light blue holographic projection of scientific data and advanced mathematics labeled in Kryptonian filled the room.

Zod assessed the data with calculating eyes.

"It appears the energy readings originate from an interdimensional-temporal breach," his advisor explained. "There was a rupture in the space-time continuum. This was not a manufactured event."

Zod rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "The energy is dispersing," he noted.

"Indeed, it is, sir," his advisor confirmed. "We need to act quickly if we want to harvest the energy."

"Send the rest of our supplies through the portals connecting to the ship. I was informed we have portals connecting to each of our primary bases and other ships."

"That is correct, sir," his advisor confirmed.

"Good. Now, where is the source of this energy coming from?" Zod asked.

The advisor neatly flicked to another section of the hologram. It was an aerial view of Gotham. "Here, sir. It's a place the locals refer to as the Narrows."

Zod nodded. "Get my best team on it. I want them at the Narrows by nightfall."

"Yes, sir."

<O>

Selina set down a bowl of fresh cat food for her hungry cats as the morning sun lightly shone through the window. The cats swarmed the new bowl of food and meowed happily. She smiled wearily. She was dressed in an oversized blue t-shirt with Imagine Dragons written on it and short athletic shorts. Gauze was wrapped firmly around her injured hand. It was healing nicely - just not at the pace Selina wanted. She lazily walked over to her cupboard and poured a bowl of cereal for herself. She sat down and turned on the television with a click from the remote.

The breaking news jingle sounded, and a newsroom came into focus. A man with black, shiny hair and a woman with light brown hair stared seriously into the camera.

"Last night Gotham received a visit from a new villain called Captain Cold," the man with black hair declared.

Selina took a bite of cereal. Captain Cold? What was wrong with this city?

"He robbed Gotham Central Bank last night around 3am and made his escape with nearly seven million dollars," the man explained.

Impressive. She wondered how he managed to escape Batman. Or if Batman was on the scene at all. He seemed quite preoccupied with his mysterious group of people he couldn't identify the last time she saw him.

"He is considered armed and dangerous," the woman continued. "He has fashioned some sort of gun akin to that of Mr. Freeze's out of stolen technology from Wayne Industries. If you see him, contact local police immediately."

"With that statement," the man said. "Here is video footage of Captain Cold's robbery from early this morning."

Black and white footage from a camera across the bank began to play. The bank was slightly off center and the main focus of the camera seemed to be primarily on the factory next door. The door to the bank opened, and a man wearing a dark-colored parka wielding a large gun and carrying a duffel bag emerged from the bank. He walked over to a motorcycle attached to a side car. He placed the bag in the side car and holstered his gun. He warily looked around and the video paused and zoomed in on his face.

Selina nearly choked on her cereal. Captain Cold was the thief she kissed in the elevator!

The television returned to the newscasters. "Officials have been unable to identify this man," the woman stated. "If anyone has any information on him, please call the number below."