"Good point," Naarin replied with a wry laugh. "Well, it happened back before the threat escalated, when fairies could still walk within the forest without any difficulties. Nikkela's parents took her out for a picnic one day in the warm summer sunshine, believing it would be safe, but it wasn't: they were attacked by a Nightstalker. No one's quite sure what happened, but when the sentinels found them hours later her father was dead, still hugging her unconscious form to his chest in an attempt to protect her. Her mother was nowhere to be seen, and – until just now – no one had seen her since."

"I had my reasons," Desha'yi said as she approached, clearly having been listening in. "Do not assume to judge me when you weren't there." Her tone was part defensive, part angry.

"I may not have been there when she was hurt," Naarin said, standing up to face Desha'yi as he clearly tried to contain his anger, "but I was by her bedside every night as she recovered. Where were you? Every night she woke up from a nightmare, screaming out for her mother who never arrived. Do you know she still carries the scar on her stomach from that day?"

"I... I didn't know," Desha'yi said, hanging her head as shame washed over her. "I am sorry, Naarin. Really. I took no pleasure in walking away from my daughter."

"I'm not the one you should be apologising to," Naarin said with a sigh. "I can't tell you what you should say or what Nikkela needs to hear, but you could do worse than saying you're sorry and that you love her." He offered the woman a smile as she headed off in the direction of her daughter, then sat back down on the bed. "I expect none of your fairy tales told you about this side of our lives," he commented.

"Let's just say love wasn't the main theme in most of the stories my parents allowed me to read," I said, looking down at the floor for a moment as I thought of my family. "I'm sorry if this is a little... personal... but are you in love with Nikkela?"

Naarin shook his head. "It's not as simple as that – not among my kin, anyway," he replied. "We don't simply fall in love at the drop of a hat; when we bond we bond for life. For all my teasing of her, my sister remains alone because she doesn't feel she can risk the possibility of falling in love with the wrong person. I and Nikkela bonded because I was there by her side when no one else was." He sighed as he looked up at the noisy room, where the others were clearing up in the centre. His eyes particularly alighted upon Crystal, who was speaking to a young female fairy while helping her pack all the food they could find into a set of bags. "I hadn't realised you children would take all of this in your stride."

"Well, I guess we feel like we have friends here," I replied. "I know, that sounds ridiculous considering we'd never met any of you before all this started happening, but it's true." I shrugged.

"Believe me, I've heard stranger things in my life," Naarin said with a laugh. "Why don't you mingle for a bit? I'd like a few moments alone before we set out once again."

"Sure," I said as I stood up, sensing something was wrong but being unwilling to intrude upon his personal thoughts. I found my way over to where Nikkela and Mickey were helping a pair of young fairy children pack up their toys. "Do we know what this place is called?" I asked suddenly, wanting to avoid adding to the awkward silence that seemed to be hovering between the two of them.

"The Hall of the Phoenix," Nikkela replied, turning slightly and giving me what appeared to be a rather forced smile. "None of these fairies seem to know why it's called that, though; I get the feeling this place existed long before they came here." As she turned around she caught sight of Crystal, deep in conversation with her companion. "It seems Crystal has made a new friend," she commented.

"Has she?" I asked, trying to avoid looking in their direction. "I thought she was just lending a hand with the evacuation..."

"Clint Jones, are you jealous?" Mickey asked, raising an eyebrow. "I know you mean a lot to Crystal but you really aren't her type." He smiled before adding, "No offence."