thirteen

Max was sitting at Steve's feet, watching resentfully as Dustin and Lucas talked to Mike in the next room.

"How is this going to work again?" She asked flatly, looking up at him.

"Well," Steve said, lifting his chin. "I don't know."

"Steve!" El called from the next room, and he bellowed back, "I'M WORKING ON IT, HOPPER!"

"I think you're full of shit!"

She came barreling into the room, and Max did a double take.

Steve copied her as he looked at El's clothes, which were a Van Halen shirt and ripped jeans. "Hey. . .is that my shirt?"

"No, it's your fucking ballerina tutu." El shot. "We've been waiting for your grand scheme for almost an hour, Harrington! So where is it?"

She jerked her head towards the living room. "Mike's getting more insane by the minute and if we don't do something my best friend is going to be left without a fucking love story!"

"Thanks, El." Max said through gritted teeth. "Thanks for clearing that up."

El smiled sweetly before turning her gaze back on Steve. "So? What's the big idea?"

Steve lifted a finger. "Reinforcements will be here soon, Ello."

She rolled her eyes. "You know I hate that nickname."

"Whatever." Steve waved her concerns away. "The point is–"

He was interrupted by a loud knocking at the door and swung himself off of his chair, bolting past them to the front door.

Max and El glanced at each other before following quickly on his heels as Steve flung it open.

"It's about time!" He hissed.

Nancy and Jonathan were standing in the doorway, each holding a stack of discs and looking extremely worried.

"Sorry, Mom and Hop held us up. They're trying to reach the old cronies of Hawkins to see if they can help us. It's a really huge process, but that's where they are." Jonathan whispered, peering around Steve. "Where's Mike?"

Steve grimaced. "In the back. We can't keep Max in the same room with him or else he tries to strangle her."

Nancy's eyes traveled to Max as they stepped inside, who smiled a watery sort of smile that shook at the edges.

"Hey." She mumbled.

Nancy's brow creased and she knelt beside her. "Hey, Max. How are you?"

Max shrugged. "Okay. I'll be better if he gets well."

Nancy wrapped her arms around her and hugged her. "Me too."

She pulled away and stood, resting her hands on her hips. "So, how about a movie?"

In the end, they chose E.T., and all sat together on the couch.

Well, Steve made sure Mike was placed next to Max on the couch, who sat next to Eleven, and everyone else either slouched onto the floor or into vacant seats.

Max wasn't sure— because she wasn't looking at him for fear he would get angry— but she was pretty certain he kept looking at her throughout the movie.

Everytime he did, an inkling of hope rose inside her chest. He could make this. She knew it.

Meanwhile, El was watching Lucas, who was staring sullenly at the two and Mike's ever-concurring stares.

Her eyebrows narrowed, and then she got to her feet and headed towards him, motioning him towards the kitchen.

Ignoring the confused gazes of everyone else, she pulled him into the next room and shut the door behind him.

"What's your deal?" She demanded.

Lucas raised his eyebrows. "My deal? I don't have a deal!"

El folded her arms. "Why were you being bitchy to Dustin? And why are you in there glaring at the pair of them when Mike seems to be actually trying to get along with her? He's fighting, Lucas! That's what we want!"

Lucas sighed. "I know."

El stared at him for a couple of seconds before realization dawned. "You don't want him to get better."

His head snapped up. "What!? How could you say that?"

El shook her head hard. "You don't want him to get better because you want him and Max to stay out of each other's way. So you can win her back."

Lucas glared at her before pressing his lips together and looking away.

"Oh my God!" El said loudly. "That is so fucked up, Sinclair!"

"Shut up!" He shot at her. "Who are you to tell me what I feel and don't feel?"

"He's your best friend." El said hotly. "He's been taken over by a demon. He's possessed. He likes Max—"

"I know he does!" Lucas yelled, but she cut across him, yelling just as loudly, "Well, that should tell you everything! They're in love! He needs to be able to breathe, Lucas– Mike needs to be able to feel happy! And you coming up and breathing down your ex-girlfriend's neck is not going to fucking change anything! So grow the hell up!"

The door swung open, and Will stepped into the kitchen, letting it swing shut behind him.

"El?" He asked uncertainly, looking between the two of them. "Is everything okay?"

Lucas shot her a dark glance. "Everything's fine."

He shoved past her and went back into the living room without a second glance, leaving Eleven alone with Will.

"El?" Will asked again, and when she didn't answer, said firmly, "Jane."

She looked up at him, tears pricking the backs of her eyes. "I just want Max to be happy. I want Mike to be happy too. This is fucking everything up! What if he doesn't get fixed, Will? What are we going to do?" She asked desperately.

Will stepped towards her and slipped his arms around her. "Hey, shh. Everything's going to be fine, okay? I promise."

El nodded, and he kissed the top of her head before taking his hand in her's and leading her back into the living room, trying to calm his pounding heart.

yooo it's me! sorry for a bit of a long wait, but i'm on spring break so hopefully sooner updates?? i loved this chapter for some reason haha, and you guys deserved a long one so here you go! hope you enjoyed, don't forget to vote and comment!!