Chp. 33 Time to Act

Start from the beginning

“I didn’t even notice.” I mumble. Ron pats my head.

“You’re such a martyr.” I stick my tongue out at him and wince as my fingers are reset and healed with a pop!

“This should do eet.” I breathe a sigh of relief as the aches fade away and I scoot closer to Hermione, who wraps an arm around me.

“We’re all safe.” I whisper, both to myself and her.

“Harry wants us to go see Griphook and Ollivander. Will you be okay?” Ron asks as he turns away from the newly entered Harry. He looked a mess, tears ravaging down his face and his jaw set murderously. His hands were even clenched.

“Harry, I am so sorry. I—”

“Doesn’t matter. Shall we?” He cuts me off and I close my mouth and let go of Hermione. She glances at me regretfully and gets up with Ron’s assistance. Harry doesn’t spare anyone else a glance as he strides out. I blink in confusion and some hurt.

“Ze elf ‘at saved ‘em. He died.” I gasp and struggle out of the bed, remembering what had awoken me in the first place.

“Dobby’s dead?” My voice cracks and Fleur looks at me sadly with confirmation. “Where is he? Was he buried?” I ask. She points out of the nearest window and I spot a freshly dug grave with a small stone at its head. I rush to the door.

“Don’t be too long, we’re having supper soon.” Bill calls. I raise my hand to show that I had heard and maneuver my way down. I couldn’t—the fog was back—Dobby couldn’t be dead—No, it wasn’t allowed. Not the free elf. Not the happy elf; the brave elf. He saved us? He couldn’t have died! Too cruel. It was too cruel.

I bend to my knees next to his grave, staring blankly at the headstone.

Here Lies Dobby

A Free Elf

I watch my hand drift mindlessly to stop on the sand over the mound, slipping to lie on my side so that my head rests parallel to the stone. “I am so sorry Dobby. I should have stopped this. I should have done something.” I whisper, desperately hoping for some magical miracle.

Time passes but nothing happens. The sharp pangs of grief open my mouth to scream-shout-rage until something better happens but all that comes out is a silent cry of despair. This death—this unnecessary loss of life was in the shape of the most innocent, courageous person I knew. It hit…it hit too close to home. The war was coming to a head, reality setting in too quickly. He was the first of the many deaths that would come. Had already come.

I could have stopped this. I should have stopped this. Dobby was there for me, when he first came to work for Hogwarts, more times than I could count. Always popping up to make a joke or teach me how to knit horribly cute socks when I was feeling down. He was a friend.

“You couldn’t have stopped it Jacky.” I draw in a ragged breath and wipe my eyes quickly before turning to look at them.

“Luna? Dean?” I gasp. They were as the other, bloody and abused. But alive.

I struggle to my feet and tackle them tightly in my arms. “You’re alive! Thank the gods you’re alive!” I cry. They wind their arms around me.

“I was captured with you guys but Luna was already there.” I look at Luna in horror.

“You were in Malfoy Manor with You-Know-Who?” I gasp. Her usual dreamy look is gone in the face of a solemn witch.

“It wasn’t too awful. They fed us regularly and we had access to a bathroom. Draco would visit us occasionally. Only to say he was sorry and to cast a warming charm but it was nice.” She tells me. I hide my shock and gratitude and give her another hug to show it that way.

“Ginny and Neville will be so relieved to hear that you’re okay.” I tell her before looking at Dean. “And Seamus will be overwhelmed to hear news of you too. You look pretty great for being on the run.” I tell him. He smiles wearily at me.

“Fell in with some great people, who I will never forget.” I nod in understanding. He had been there when Ted Tonks had been murdered. I grip his shoulder tightly, reeling in my own grief to help his.

“What’s been going on at the school? Luna mentioned the D.A.” He asks. I look one more time at Dobby’s grace before turning towards Shell Cottage.

“Let’s go get some food and I’ll tell you.”

~~~~~~~

Later, the three of us were resting in the living room. Bill and Fleur had gone to bed and the trio were upstairs talking more plans. Ollivander and Griphook were resting in their rooms.

“What will you do now?” Dean asks; his feet up on the table and his head leaning back on his hands. I stare into the fire, trying to figure that out myself.

“I’m going back to Hogwarts. I know that Ginny must be home for good now and Neville is all on his own. They need my help.”

“I’ll go with you.” Dean offers instantly. I shake my head.

“You need to go with Luna to Aunt Muriel’s. They need you more there and Luna and Ginny can catch you up on the D.A. training so that you can protect yourself.” I say firmly. He opens his mouth to protest and I try another angle. “Seamus would never forgive me if I brought you there.” He backs off.

“It will be so good to see Ginny again. Maybe there will be some Hippilows in the marsh by the house.” Luna remarks. We go along with it and agree absentmindedly.

We fall into a comfortable silence, leaning against each other on the couch and sucking in the warmth.

“We’re going to make it. All of us.” I promise. They say nothing, aware that nothing like that could be true.