Punish A Muslim, Love A Muslim

Comincia dall'inizio

The letters lash out at Britain and countries elsewhere in Europe with migrant, minority and Muslim populations.

"Are you a sheep like the vast majority of the population? Sheep follow orders and are easily led," it says. "They are allowing the white-majority nations of Europe and North America to become overrun by those who would like nothing more than to do us harm and to turn our democracies into sharia-led police states."

Mr. Ahmed, the councilor, said in an interview that his letter arrived on Friday after being posted on Feb. 7 from Yorkshire. "All it had was the number of the property, the name of the road and the ZIP code."

The residents of the area where he lives in Bradford, a historic town in northern England, are of predominantly Pakistani and Muslim heritage, he said by phone, adding, "My guess is that the letter was meant to terrorize and cause discord within the various communities."

"But we tend to rise above that in Bradford; we are very, very proud," he said. "I came to this country when I was 12 years old from Pakistan. I've seen far worse."

The Yorkshire Post reported that at least three letters had landed in Bradford.

The 2011 census said Muslims made up slightly more than 4.4 percent of the population in the United Kingdom - about 2.7 million people, compared with 1.55 million in 2001 - and most live in England and Wales. A 2016 perception survey by Ipsos Mori found that Britons overestimated the number of Muslims in the country.

As the Muslim population has grown, the number of hate crimes in England and Wales has risen, according toHome Office statistics. There were 80,393 offenses in 2016-17, compared with 62,518 in 2015-16. That increase, at 29 percent, was the largest since the Home Office began recording figures in 2011-12. The episodes have includedarson attacks on mosques and schools.

Last year, a British man was accused of ramming a van into a group of Muslims leaving a London mosque, killing a worshiper and injuring several others. The police said the suspect, Darren Osborne, 48, hadreceived a Twitter message from Jayda Fransen, the deputy leader of Britain First, a far-right group that gained notoriety after President Trump recirculated unverified anti-Muslim videos it had posted online.

Ms. Fransen was arrested in December along with Paul Golding, the leader of Britain First, on hate crimes charges after they were accused of posting videos online of their harassment of Muslims in May 2017. Both were convicted this month and sentenced to prison.

Some of the threatening packages received by Muslim members of Parliament also contained noxious substance.

Sajid Javid, the secretary for housing, communities and local government in Prime Minister Theresa May's cabinet, was among those who received the letter. Mr. Javid posted on Twitter a photo of the letter sent to him on Thursday.

It said that people would be awarded points for harming Muslims on April 3 for a series of offenses - from verbally abusing them to burning or bombing a mosque to nuking Mecca