The Real Him

Sarah's POV

Ever since our talk, Jeremy has actually been acting like a somewhat decent person. He was a little rough the first few weeks, but he's gotten better.

I've noticed he hasn't gone to any bars, he doesn't flirt with the waitress, he even goes as far as opens door for me.

Then again, he may only be doing this because ever since he told the world we were secret lovers, everywhere we go the paparazzi finds us.

But I like to try and be optimistic

I was currently sitting on the couch in the studio with my knees tucked underneath me. I was humming the new tune I was working on as I wrote in my notebook. My head was still down when I heard the door open.

"Hey Max, tell me if you like this.
I didn't know that I was starving till I tasted you
Don't need no butterflies when you give me the whole damn zoo
By the way, by the way, you do things to my body
I didn't know that I was starving till I tasted you
By the way, by the way, you do things to my body
I didn't know that I was starving till I tasted you."

"I like it." I gasped when it wasn't Max who responded.

"Jeremy," I gasped quickly closing my notebook. "What are you. . . What are you doing here?"

"Well you told me last night at dinner that you would be working all day, alone, so I figured I'd join you. Also, I brought lunch," he said holding up a picnic basket.

"So you brought a bribe?"

"Only if it worked," he said in a singsongy voice making me laugh.

"Wow," I said with a soft smile. "Jeremy, I. . ."

"You don't have to look so surprised," he laughed as he sat down and started taking food out of a bag.

"I'm sorry," I said untucking my legs. "It's just. . . It's kind of weird seeing you be a decent human being. I mean. . . I didn't mean to. . ."

"Sarah," Jeremy cut me off with a small laugh. "It's fine. I understand. I can be kind of. . ." He awkwardly moved his hands.

"You know," I said clearing my throat "you could change that. Your reputation I mean. Besides, isn't that what I'm here for? To help you improve your image?"

"More like to fix me," he said with a small smile. After a few minutes of us awkwardly staring at each other I turned my attention to the food.

"So, what did you bring for lunch?"

"Two hamburgers and two fries from my favorite diner in town. They make the best fry sauce I have ever had. I also stopped at the vending machine and got two sodas. I did get a salad just incase you weren't a burger kind of girl."

"Not a burger kind of girl? Jeremy Jordan, that is the worse thing you could ever say to me." I said putting my hand over my heart, faking offense.

I stopped laughing when he reached over and grabbed my hand. "Sarah Walters, I formally apologize for thinking you were a non burger kind of girl."

"Okay, you're freaking me out." I said slowly, taking my hand out of his grasp.

We started eating our burgers in a comfortable silence. "Sarah?"

"Yeah?" I looked up from my burger to see him looking at me.

"Do you think. . . I mean have I. . . Am I still a jackass?"

"What?"

"Am I still a jackass?" He said, finally looking up at me.

"When I first met you, yes you were a jackass. A huge jackass. A jackass of all jackasses."

"Sarah, you aren't helping."

"Sorry," I said making him laugh. "But in all seriousness, you used to be a jackass. Keywords- used to be. Jeremy you have changed, for the better. I can see that, John can see that, your fans can see that. Why can't you?"

"I don't know," he shrugged looking away from me. "I just feel like. . . I'm the same old douchebag that everyone sees. That I still have that jackass reputation. And I. . . I don't want that to be my reputation anymore."

"You can change that and you will. You don't always have to be that way. I mean. . . You aren't that way with me."

"It's easy to be myself around you," he said quickly. "I. . . I mean I can't be myself in Hollywood. Before I moved to LA, I was this shy kid who hated being around people. I struggled in school because I didn't talk. If I start acting like that scared little kid. . . You have to have tough skin to survive in this business. Because if you don't. . . If I don't, I'll be eaten alive."

"I understand," I said reaching over and intertwining our fingers. "Believe me, I understand more than most. Not being able to be who you are, who you want to be, sucks." I looked away from him when my voice broke. "No matter how much money and fame is behind it, pretending to be someone you're not, isn't worth it."