3

"Why does the town titled Goodneighbor sound like it is neither good nor neighbourly?"

"When the ghouls were kicked out of the city, most went there. Most criminals who're thrown out use Goodneighbor as an alternative. Now, I already know you're throwing some sort of outraged fit at the concept of being nice to people with a bit of radiation poisoning, but I'm teaching you a lesson."

"A bit?" Arthur's tone is full of skepticism, "Uri, their skin has melted, and two-thirds of them run around trying to kill us."

"Details, details," she waves her hand, "I want you to just meet them, though. I want you to see for yourself - 'cause I won't believe you for a second if you tell me you've ever stopped to talk to a ghoul before raising your gun at them."

"These are built into the very foundations of our organisation," he sighs, "I give you my word I will not fire unless threatened, though."

"That's good enough for now."

She leaves him to get organised, with her idea of an explanation being: "errands to run!"

Nick is in his office when she arrives, rooting through some old case files with a familiar name spread across them - Eddie Winters. When Ellie lets Uri in, he looks up and smiles.

"Long time no see!" He says, as dry-yet-cheerful as ever. "How're you doing, kiddo?"

"As good as can be, considering..." she sighs, "Sorry, Nick. This is more a business call-in than social meeting. I'm heading back out soon."

"Takes more than that to offend me," he chuckles, "You're here about the boy?"

"Yeah..." she sighs, "The whole time I was out there, I didn't see or hear anything about the Institute. How am I supposed to track down a courser when I don't even know where to start...?"

"Have you reconsidered--?"

"No. Nick, I just - I can't, okay. But I might have a way. I might be able to do it. For now, though, I'm just hoping I'm lucky enough to run into one."

"Said no one ever," He sighs, rubbing at his forehead. When he looks up at her, his yellow eyes are as full as sympathy as a prototype synth can manage. "I'll keep an eye out. But for now - stay safe."

Arthur is waiting outside the Inn as she leaves that same side street from yesterday. The door she walks away from has a neon sign looming overhead - Valentine's Detective Agency. She looks downhearted, but quickly replaces that with a bright smile as she spots him.

"All ready to go?" he asks.

"Yep," she nods, "to Goodneighbor."

Diamond City security patrol most of the perimeter, so their journey to the misfit down isn't fraught with too many obstacles. There's a pack of dogs and a handful of ferals, but their improved weaponry takes them down with ease. By the time they reach Goodneighbor, it's not even midday.

"Hey, Bill," Uri calls, waving at the ghoul guarding the gate. Arthur's stomach turns at the ghastly sight of the humanoid figure consisting of mottled, waxen flesh and a hole where its nose once was.

"Uri! How ya doin', sister?" He opens up the gate and steps aside.

"Great thanks! How's Sandra?"

Arthur can think of at least seventy-six things he would rather do than step foot in this place, but as Uri heads in without hesitation - he follows. As she finishes off her conversation with it, he takes in their surroundings. The place stinks of urine, along with the pungent smell of what he thinks is folk who have not washed in at least a year. The entrance is a square - to the left is an old museum, and straight ahead is a small seating area set in front of two unkempt stores... One ran by an assaultron, another by a ghoul.