2

Uri wakes feeling a lot better. The sun is only just beginning to rise, and Maxson is still fast asleep. The sleeping bag is barely big enough for the pair of them - he turned onto his back at some stage in the night, which brought her to lay face-flat against his chest. She manoeuvres her arms to prop herself up against him, and admires the way his muscles flex underneath. He's buff, alright. She's always been into that kind of thing...

"Mornin'" he says, his prim-and-proper accent out the window in his dazed state. She finds she likes him when he's tired. He actually looks his age.

"Oh, a good morning it is," She sighs wistfully, and he frowns in confusion - until she starts tracing patterns on his chest. He rolls his eyes.

"Has anyone ever told you that you are a flirtatious little thing?"

"Hmm - I guess so," she beams, "Can't really help it when I've got the oh-so-attractive Elder of the Brotherhood underneath me."

"You're terrible," he chortles, reaching to unzip the bag. She muffles an irritated groan into his chest and tightens her arms.

"Don't be mean. I'm warm here."

"Child," he chides, slipping out from under her. She snuggles into it with a huff. The fire is long dead, but their clothes are merely damp around the edges. He tosses her things at the sleeping bag, and by the time she's turned around he's clipping his armour into place.

"Are you all so uptight?" She asks as she pulls her shirt over her head. Maxson disguises his embarrassment for checking the perimeter.

"It's not uptightness. It's part of duty."

"So... What? You've all got blue balls?"

"God," He says, turning to her with a look of utter disbelief. She's finishing fastening her jeans, face completely nonchalant... She's saying it because she's curious. And it completely throws him off - because he's never spoken to someone so crassly. He thinks back to the Citadel, and what they'd have done if he'd even dared think the way she speaks...

"I'll take that as a yeah," Uri chuckles.

"No - no, I mean. There are rules within the Brotherhood. We are not allowed to fraternise with our brothers or sisters in arms. It also goes without saying that you shouldn't go around having sexual relations with ghouls, synths, or any other non-human species-"

"Okay..." She places a hand on his chest, forcing him to look her in the eye, "I'm not a Brotherhood soldier yet. I'm certainly not a ghoul, and as far as I'm aware I'm no synth."

"Uri," he shakes his head, "For any other soldier, that would be acceptable... But I'm a Maxson."

"Soooo... Everyone can get their rocks off, except for you?"

"It's expected of me to marry, to have children - children who will carry on the family name. Who will continue to lead us to victory."

"Well, that's shit," She rolls her eyes and draws away. Where her hand touched burns, but she's smiling again, "There's no point waiting for all that when you could die within five minutes out here... Well, Maxy. Someday you'll get down to it. I'll pray for you - maybe it'll help you relax."

"I appreciate that," he says, the words coming out as a resigned sigh. "And I was not joking about those nicknames. They're ridiculous."

"I'm not calling you Elder," she scoffs, "stupidest name I've ever heard."

"It's a title."

"I know, but you never told me your name."

He's aware of that. It was purposefully kept from her... But he feels she has proved herself enough for him to give her that much.