Chapter Thirty-Two ✧ Love & Fear

😈

This was an interesting chapter to write

😈😈😈

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Thirty-Two

The package Talia had received in the mail that day had sat on her bed, untouched, for hours. She had been busy doing other tasks and had forgotten about it until she finally went upstairs and decided to open it.

Inside were two items: a necklace and a note.

The note wasn't really a note at all. It was a riddle written out in neat handwriting which Talia vaguely recognized.

"I am what most people fear, I can strike without warning for I cannot be stopped. Everyday I do things to people that rip apart the hearts of their loved ones. What am I?"

She recognized that riddle, and the answer made her blood run cold.

Death.

She pulled out the necklace, and when she saw it, she felt a lump form in her throat which blocked the scream that threatened to leave her lips and her eyes began to sting with unshed tears.

The pendant on the necklace was a topaz. It was the birthstone of Scorpio - Lydia's zodiac. It had belonged to her. The night Gomez had attacked them both and given Talia the scar she now bore on her shoulder, he had taunted Lydia before tearing it from her neck. He had kept it all this time and now he was using it to threaten her.

She couldn't bear to tell Lee what had happened, instead running out of the house and to the truck. She called Sweet Pea and asked if she could pick him up and if they could go to Sweetwater River. He was the only person she could find the courage to tell.

They both stared down at the envelope in Talia's hand. They were sitting in the bed of the truck on top of a blanket Talia had laid there only moments before. She had hoped that looking at the stars before she told him would make her anxiety lessen, but it didn't.

Talia had seen the bruises and cuts on his fists. His hands were turning red and were swelling ever so slightly. It worried her, and she of course wanted to know what had happened to him, but he hid his hands from her every chance he got. He clearly didn't want to tell her and her mind was focused on other things anyway.

She wasn't afraid of him getting into fights because he was Sweet Pea; he almost always won. But she was afraid for his life because that threat didn't pertain to only her. It was to everyone in Riverdale who stood in the way of the Saints getting what they wanted: Talia's head on a stake.

Talia had accepted that by now. They wanted her dead. If it meant saving the others, then if it came down to it, she would go to Ty.

Her shaking hands gave the envelope to Sweet Pea, not having the strength to open it again herself. He looked at her with uncertainty before taking the contents out. He looked at the necklace in a mixture of confusion and awe.

"It was Lydia's," she said, her voice cracking. "Gomez took it from her the night he gave me the scar."

When Sweet Pea looked at her again, he saw her eyes. He saw the pain lingering in them and the tears rushing down her face from the corners.

He leaned forwards, and ran his thumbs along her cheekbones. The tears were wiped away, and she felt herself leaning into his palms as her eyes closed. He was so warm. He calmed her.

She reached up and pulled his hands away so that she could hold them in her own. She looked at him through blurred vision.

When he had seen the fear in her eyes the moment he got into the truck, he didn't say anything. He wanted to know, of course. She could see it in everything he did. He wanted to know why she was so scared. He had been patient and gotten into the bed of the truck with her, but up until then, he had been silent.

"Sweet, he scares me," she whimpered, hating how weak she sounded in that moment. "I know I shouldn't be afraid anymore but I am. I'm so scared."

He looked her in the eyes now. His eyes were such a deep colour of brown that she found herself lost in them on more than one occasion.

"You never need to be afraid," he said, his voice stern like stone but as gentle as it could be all at the same time. "You have me. I'm always gonna be there, Tal."

She was still for a few seconds. When his hands were about to pull from her skin, she leaned forwards. She kissed him softly and slowly, then pulled away.

She looked him in the eyes, and she saw the uncertainty that lingered in them. Then she kissed him again and again.

His hands went to her waist and her hips and her spine, and before long she was straddling him.

She felt like she couldn't quite get him close enough to her. She wanted to hold him as tightly as she could for eternity.

Her back was on the bed of the truck and his lips were on her neck and her hands were grazing over the Serpents tattoo on his neck. His jacket was off and soon her sweater was too.

Chills ran up and down her spine, and continued even when he pulled away and asked if she was sure she wanted him.

His forearm was beside her head and holding him up while his other hand was resting at her hip and subconsciously digging in ever so slightly. He wanted this just as much as her.

She pulled him down and kissed him again, this time much more roughly and with more feeling than ever before. She was angry and upset and happy and needy all at the same time, and she didn't know what she was feeling, but she knew what she needed in that moment.

"I want you. I want every part of you," she said, almost out of breath. "That's the only thing I'm certain of. It's the only thing I know now."

The rest of the night, he proved that he was sure of the exact same thing.