6: one year before

Start from the beginning

 They stood in front of a small doughnut shop and grabbed the order quick. El seemed to be highly professional at this since she stormed right out of there once the coffees were in her hand. 

 The place that El worked at was this medium sized office building. It was black and violet and scary. One of those places that looked way too professional to touch. Ashton stood in front of it for a while until El hollered at him to hurry. Scurrying to the elevator and giving a brief "hello" to the security in the front, the two rushed into the machine and gave the button a push. "You know, I'm the one that made this elevator happen. I complained about walking four flights of stairs everyday so they installed this to shut me up." 

 "That's amazing. High-five!" Their hands collided once the elevator door opened. The girl rushed down the corridor totally ignoring everyone she passed. Ashton followed behind, trying to avoid the constant questions of his presence. 

 After strictly being told by El to "wait outside, I'll be right back", he sort of just did that. Stood awkwardly there with his arms swaying and his fingers drumming along the sides of his legs. He smiled a little at the people that passed and brought his hand up in a wave whenever a male presence came. 

 Five minutes passed and finally she came outside with a bright smile on her face. "So I worked my magic and I managed to get the rest of the day off. I told The Big Ol' Boss to shoo because I am an independent woman who needs a break.'' 

 "No, I didn't say that. I told her I had family business." 

 "It's bad to say stuff like that." They began to walk out of the building.

"Like what?" She said as she pressed the elevator button. 

"Make excuses like that. Something can really happen to your family. You know, karma." 

 "Oh don't worry about that. My parents passed away nine years ago and I'm an only child." She shrugged. "So let's go to a diner and offer ourselves to delicious waffles and tea and get to know each other better. I can assure you, I am not a murderer but I can be if you use all the maple syrup and whip cream"

 -

 Several waffles and Thai teas later, they stood in front of El's house, awkwardly. "So", Ashton started. 

"I would ask if you wanted to come in but it's a complete mess and I just got a new cat that I don't even know how to tame." 

 "I hate cats." His face scrunched up in disgust and he shivered his body to exaggerate more. His dimpled smile popped out afterwards.

Eleanor's mouth gaped open and eyes went wide. "What? Oh my god, I don't even know if I want your number anymore. What is wrong with you? Cats are the best!" Her try at being overly-dramatic caused Ashton to go into a fit of giggles. It was the cutest thing she could ever see. 

 "I'm still going to give you my number if you wanted it or not." 

 "Thanks, I was sort of questioning if I messed up there."  

 He quickly added his number into her phone and walked away. "I don't think it's possible for you to mess up, El." And before she could object, he was already far gone. 

To: Elly-welly. 11:29pm

I know this is late and you have work in the mrning but can i please come over or can i meett you somewhere i just cant function properly right now and my mind is a mess nd i just need to talk 

To: Ashton Fashion 11:32pm

 yeah. give me directions to your house and I'll be there. 

 During the drive to his apartment, he tried numerous times to reply back but just couldn't think of the right things to say. After all, he sucked with this sad stuff and expressing emotions. She parked her car in quite a rush just trying her best to make it to the boy as fast as possible. Reaching his room (A09), she noticed how the door was already cracked open. She silently knocked on it only to be replied with two masculine arms indulging her tiresome body in a tight yet comforting hug. Ashton's sobs were heartbreakingly low. 

 He pulled away and turned his back. "Would you like anything to drink?'' his hand went up to wipe the tears building up on his cheeks while his hands rummaged for a cup. 

 "Ashton, you need to calm down." She was right. His actions were far too overpowered and soon, something was going to break. 

 "I fucking hate this world. I do so much shit. So damn much and it just repays me with just- nothing. No, the world doesn't fucking repay me. Instead it takes from me," he turned to her. "You know, Eleanor, I'm a pretty messed up person and I know that the rest of my life is going to be pretty fucked up since well, I can't remember shit but I just hope that I remember you. Will you give me the permission to remember you?" 

 "Where's your bedroom?" 

 "Through there, why?" he pointed down the corridor and she simply just nodded and walked towards the direction held. Ashton soon followed behind. El laid down on his bed, wrapping herself in the white bed sheets. 

 "Come lay down and talk about it. It won't make the problems go away but it will avoid you from making some risky decisions." He basically ran over to the other side of the bed. Soon, his head was laying on her lap. 

 "I got a call yesterday.." 

 Her fingers combed through his tangled hair while he softly snored. He looked so calm yet so fragile. A simple tap could send his remains into ash. But at the same time, he was diamond. A cold, broken and strong diamond. "I'm pretty sure you're asleep but I think I've fallen for you, Ashton Irwin. I don't know if that's good or bad. I don't know what to think, Ash. I'm scared that's what will become of this once you realize who I truly am. You look cute when you sleep. I like your seven freckles on your nose and how they cascade south. I like you. Yeah, I like you."