‘I did,’ April said, smiling modestly.

‘Props to you, it looks amazing,’ Oscar said, dropping the strand of hair he’d been examining.

‘Thanks,’ April replied, her eyes sliding to Ezra, who was staring out at the sea. She wondered what he was thinking about. Her mind had wandered to that time when they were dating, when she had persuaded him to let her dye his hair red temporarily for a fancy dress party. It had taken quite some nagging, but had looked fabulous. It was just when he went swimming the next day, and ended up with hair that was a funny shade of ginger that he’d been unimpressed. They’d laughed about it then, and the dye had washed out. But soon, there hadn’t been much more laughing.

April turned her mind away from her failed relationship, and looked up at the clear sky instead, instantly smiling as the full heat of the sun hit her face. How could anyone feel down in a place like this?

They sat there, soaking up the sun together, listening to the calm sound of the waves upon the shore. Eventually, Oscar got up. ‘I’m going to go get us some drinks,’ he said. ‘Who wants one?’

Morgie put up her hand. ‘Please!’

Oscar grabbed her outstretched hand and pulled her up. ‘You can come help me order,’ he said cheekily.

She scowled at him. ‘You’re naughty.’

As the pair of them padded across the sand to the bar, Will smiled at Laurel. ‘Let’s go and paddle,’ he suggested, looking at the surf.

Laurel smiled, hopping up and heading over to the shallow water. April thought about getting up and going with them, but at that moment, Ezra leant over, his eyes meeting hers.

 ‘Can I have a word?’ he asked.

She was surprised, but nodded. ‘Sure.’

‘Look, April, I’m sorry about what happened on the plane,’ he said, sounding sincere. ‘I don’t want to fight with you.’

‘I don’t want to fight either,’ she replied.

‘Then we’re good?’ he asked, feeling it had all been solved rather easily.

‘We’re good,’ April confirmed. However, as Morgie and Oscar returned, balancing drinks on a tray, she couldn’t help but feel that this mutual peace treaty was rather precarious, and that little more than a word could bring it tumbling down again.

By the sea, Will watched as Laurel’s hair blew out around her in the sea breeze, smiling as the salty spray splashed her legs.

He grinned at her. ‘Having fun?’ he inquired, kicking water at her bare legs, and chuckling as she squealed.

She splashed him back. ‘Definitely,’ she informed him. ‘It’s beautiful here.’ She spread her arms wide, to encompass the whole beach, and beamed at him.

He felt his heart do a little stutter, but smiled back. ‘I’m glad you three are here,’ he told her, looking out over the sea to where the sun glittered on the surface, sending sparkles of light across the water.

‘You are?’

He nodded. ‘Yeah. I think the guys are all out for meaningless summer flings, but hopefully you three being here will distract them.’

‘You’re not after a meaningless fling, then?’ Laurel asked curiously.

‘Nah,’ he replied, turning back to look at her. ‘Those things start off with the expectation that they’ll end soon, don’t they?’

‘I don’t know,’ Laurel replied. ‘I’ve never had one.’

‘Me neither,’ Will put in quickly. ‘But I hate break ups. I wouldn’t want to start a relationship knowing that it would end in one very soon.’